This is an easy to prepare creamy baked chicken that is built around the foundation of herbs, onion, garlic, and of course cream. Very little prep work is required. Making it suitable for a tasty weeknight meal that the whole family would enjoy.
Browning the chicken first gives an extra flavor boost and adds richness to the finished sauce. Most of the preparation takes place in the oven.
Browning the chicken in the oven gives you an even brown color. However, you may brown the chicken stovetop before completing it in the oven. Make sure to heavily spice chicken before proceeding with your favorite chicken spice or just use salt, pepper and Italian herbs. This chicken does not need to rest before browning.
Serve this chicken with steamed veggies like carrots or green beans, and a side of rice or pasta, and voila…you have a lovely dinner!
- 2½ - 3 pound chicken drumsticks
- ¼ cup olive oil or canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (I used creole seasoning)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream(heavy or whipping cream)
- 1cup chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-teaspoon white pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven 450 degrees
- Rinse chicken legs, season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Set aside
- In a large Dutch oven or large skillet heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and brown . Turn chicken once or twice to ensure even brownness.
- Or place chicken on a rack and bake in the oven 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Drain oil and leave about 2 tablespoons
- Add onions, followed by minced garlic stir for about 5 minutes, then add cream, milk, tomato sauce, paprika, white pepper, Italian seasoning parsley, broth or water , salt and pepper
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Adjust sauce thickness and seasoning with water or broth, salt according to preference.
- Serve warm