Inspired by the success with this crispy baked chicken wings that I made here. I decided to give it a spin with chicken legs-same flavorful bite and crispy crunchy coating -without the aid of breadcrumbs or flour.
Since chicken drumsticks are larger than wings, I included a generous amount of onion, garlic to compensate for it’s size- to fully permeate the chicken. I switched out the thyme for Italian herbs, you can use any other dried herbs that you have on hand.
The most important thing about these baked chicken drumsticks is ensuring that they are dry. The chicken legs need to be as dry as possible crisp up the skin.
Serve them up with this pepper sauce or any hot or dipping sauce of your choice.
- 3 -3 ½ pound chicken drumsticks
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Italian herbs
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder (you may replace with salt)
- Wash chicken legs and place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer, then let them sit in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours or preferable overnight. Do not cover them; let the air-dry them out. You can omit this part and proceed with the spices.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl, with all the spices, and then drizzle with coil.
- Line a baking pan with foil; top with a wire rack. Arrange chicken legs out in a single layer. While the chicken legs are baking oil will slowly drip to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake chicken legs until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45-50 minutes-rotate wings half way through-roughly 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve with your favorite chicken sauce or african pepper sauce
Don’t forget to drizzle them with a little bit of canola oil and bake rotating the chicken legs half way through baking . For easy clean up, line the baking pan with foil paper.