Baked Crispy Chicken Wings – Ridiculously Crispy outside, tender and juicy on the inside, and Oh so flavorful – the best part? You won’t feel bad indulging in them.
Are you ready for crispy, baked and spicy chicken wings ? I guessed right. Who wouldn’t be? It wasn’t long ago before chicken wings became part of my family lexicon- though these days , I can hardly ever imagine that there was a time that I rarely made these wings at home.
They are so easy to make and you have the freedom to include whatever spices to match your mood or guests.
So after years of buying chicken wings at pizza places, restaurant , I wanted to make my own chicken wings- one that is crispy , nothing beats that crispy first bite! Since I am always looking for ways to cut down on my calories intake , I like baking food and see which ones hold up to the test, without comprising taste and texture . These, certainly do!
After reading alton brown method of achieving crispy chicken wings ,I decided to incorporate some of his techniques ; letting the wings dry in the fridge for about an hour, sometimes overnight. However, if am press for time I just use a clean towel to dry it up.
Drying the chicken makes a huge difference in making the wings crispy. After mixing the wings with spices- paprika, onions, garlic powder, chicken bouillon powder and dried thyme. I drizzle them with canola oil and bake rotating the wings half way through baking . Before baking I line my baking pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up .
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder (you may replace with salt)
- Wash chicken wings and place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer , then let them sit in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours or preferable overnight. Do not cover them, let the air dry them out.
- When ready to bake , preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl, with all the spices , then drizzle with vegetable oil .
- Line a baking pan with foil; top with a wire rack. Arrange chicken wings out in a single layer . While the chicken wings are baking oil will slowly drip to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45-50 minutes-rotate wings half way through-roughly 20 minutes .
- Remove and serve with your favorite chicken wing sauce.