Cameroon Food- 21 Traditional Cameroonian Foods To Feed your Soul
May is Cameroon Independence Month and My Birthday Month YAY!
Yes! I ‘ll be turning 21.. Again. Hahaha. My son says I can’t be turning 21 every year and I replied, Moms can do anything . I just don’t age.
Anyways, as many Cameroonians celebrate in the next few weeks, no good party would be complete without some traditional meals to mark the occasion.
It would be impossible to list all the tasty foods from the rich Cameroon food culture – believe me I tried, ended up with sleepless nights and still couldn’t come up with a complete list . Arrrgh!!!
If you can… please do share with us mortals.
Here are 21 foods from my home country , that you just have to try out- it will give you the feel of Cameroon Cuisine. If you are new to it , or just wanting to experiment more in your kitchen.
The flavors are enticing , rich and oh so comforting .I would gobble it pretty much every day of the week. And the snacks! Oh boy ! Give me some puff puff , Meat pie and suya and you will WIN me over.
Am SUPER excited to share with you some of my favorites ! Everything from easy one pot recipes, to traditional and Sumptuous.
You will be thrilled with this list.!
- Ndole- At the top of my favorite Cameroonian food is Ndole. Oh yes! And it’s rumored to be the un-official Cameroon National dish . Get the recipe here .
2. Poulet D. G – Forget about le Directeur General (boss) .Anyone can make this Elitist Chicken dish . It’s now available in every restaurant in Cameroon and can be made and enjoyed by ANYONE, ANYWHERE . Get the recipe here.
3. Ekwang – It might be tedious to make but it sure worth the effort .Magic happens when grated cocoyams in cocoyam leaves and cook in with dried fish , crayfish and palm oil . I dare you to resist going back for more. Get the recipe here Check out it HERE EKWANG
4. Achu soup a very controversial dish . You need the just the right technique to get in going in less than no time . Get the recipe here
5.Sese plantains aka turning plantains- This is a life saver in my home. Everyone loves it and so easy to put together.Get the recipe here .
6. Accra Banana- Nothing better than a two ingredient recipe right? Comes together quickly with
7. Add this Hot pot potatoes to your weeknight menu. With just a list of few ingredients you can have dinner ready in less than no time . Annd is all cooked in one Pot. Check it out here
10. Kati Kati -Brace yourself you are going to forget all your manners when it comes to this chicken. And eat the bones too! No worries I don’t judge.
11. Egusi Soup with Cabbage- This egusi is made with Cabbage and nonetherless delicious and healthier too!
!2. Meat Pie– Who can say No to these Flaky pastry filled with minced beef, onions and aromatics. They disappear before you know it .
13. Koki Corn- Who says African Can’t be healthy? This Koki corn is vegan , healthy and loaded with spinach.
14. Mbongo Chobi- Get ready your plantains and put aside all preconceptions about this black soup. The flavors all blend together and you will forget about the looks once you dig in. Check it out here.
15. Kwacoco Bible– Cocoyams grated , fortified with fish , crayfish wrapped in plantain leaves, steamed until cooked through. This will take you to the heart of the Bakweri tribe . Get the recipe here
16. Groundnut Sweet- You will go NUTS for these nuts . A must try street food. Get recipe here
15. Chicken Stew- Everyone needs a good stew in their repertoire , especially for Christmas. This doesn’t disappoint .
16. Pepper Sauce -There are as many different Pepper Sauce in Cameroon as there are cooks. Put this on EVERYTHING .Recipe here
17. kondres- Don’t let the ingredient list fool you―this one pot plantain wander is quick to put together and leave your taste buds
wanting more . Get the recipe here.
18. Eru- All you need is water fufu then you are all set for this taste bud sensation.
20. Condensed milk cake- Not a traditional Cameroon recipe but one that you Must have try. It’s indulgent , quick and easy.
21. Fish Roll- If you make these send some my way. Can’t seem to have enough of these. So000 addictive.