Jalapeños Corn Casserole- A flavorful twist on corn casserole with garlic , jalapeños , bell pepper and onion – So uplifting, satisfying and a must for your thanksgiving table.
When I think of corn casserole, I think of THE ultimate comfort food, sure they taste good, but there is something more alluring about this casserole- something uplifting, satisfying and pleasurable to the soul and stomach.
These are just a few of my thoughts about corn casserole, coupled with the thoughts of hundreds of people that have had the pleasure of digging in.
I usually make this during the holidays – when calories don’t count …(that is what I say to anyone who starts mentioning calories). By the way I lightened it a bit with less butter and no cheese.
This casserole is a holiday favorite of mind -it’s always a big hit! The kids really love it…and adults fight over it too- with so much goodies how can you turn it down!
It packs so many flavor and lends itself to so many variations – with so little work. I like my corn casserole with a southwest spin on it – chopped onions, Jalapenos, onions, bell pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Do double this recipe, if you are cooking for a large crowd.
Throw some prepared sausage, bacon, or prosciutto on top, for those of you that want protein and salty garnish.
- For heat you can use 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper and omit Jalapeños entirely
- Here’s a great substitute for Corn Mix
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 -1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1-2 Jalapenos peppers diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can cream style corn
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn drained
- ⅓ cup (75grams) unsalted butter softened
- 1 (8 oz) container Sour cream
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1 (8.5) oz box cornbread mix (any variety)
- 1 teaspoons creole Salt or more Adjust to taste
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease casserole bowl and set aside
- Heat a sauce pan with about 2 tablespoons butter , then add onion, jalapeños pepper, garlic , saute for about a minute , followed by bell pepper.
- You can do this in the microwave too - 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, corn bread mixl, sweet corn , cream style corn, eggs, bell pepper mixture, sour cream and cheese. Cheese is optional here.
- Stir in corn mixture into prepared casserole and bake until top is lightly brown about 40 – 50 minutes depending on your oven and pan