Puerto Rican Style beans – A hearty red beans simmered in an aromatic sauce with big bold flavors. Quick Easy and Simply Delicious.
If you like a an easy yet tasty meat free beans then, you might think this Puerto Rican Beans is about the most delicious beans to cook up. It’s a hearty stew of red beans, simmered in tomatoes, onions, garlic, bell pepper spices and chunks of potatoes until all the flavors fuse together beautifully.
Did I eve tell you beans are one of my favorite meals? Shhhhhh don’t tell teenagers that. I did once and lets just say I became a center of their jokes.
This is an easy and straightforward dish, that is simply delicious, so good my carnivore brother ate it all and forgot about the meat.
If you cook beans often and dread the thought of boiling beans during weekday, then go ahead and boil enough during the weekends and save up for weekdays. I freeze in batches and defrost overnight. You will be glad you did. Or forget about the hassle and just go with canned beans,
Sazon is a Latin and Caribbean seasoning (ground black pepper, granulated garlic, coriander seed, salt and other seasonings.) It is used to flavored stews, soups and protein- available in Latino markets and even in major super markets. I usually get the Goya Sazon (or Gayon Sazon y culantro y achiote).
Serve it with this one puerto rican chicken and rice here
Or this Slow cooked pork(Pernil) right here
- 2-tablespoon or more canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro or parsley finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2-3 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-teaspoon cumin
- 1-tablespoon cilantro or parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups cooked small red beans or 2-3 15oz. cans rinse and drained
- 2 cups broth or more (chicken or vegetarian)
- 1 medium or large Potatoes chopped
- 1-packet Goya Sazon.
- Fresh cilantro/parsley leaves (optional)
- Heat the olive / canola oil over medium heat in a large sauce -pan. Add the onions, garlic, cumin, jalapenos, cilantro , paprika, and bay leaf sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, about 5-7. Do not brown.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, potatoes, tomatoes, sazon, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes or more until potatoes is tender.
- Adjust seasonings and thickness beans according to preference with broth and spices
- Remove and serve warm with rice and or tostones