If you are looking for an easy, inexpensive, and gorgeous Valentines Day breakfast, I’d recommend these raspberry chocolate scones. Let me tell you why. Chocolate, orange zest and plenty of raspberries make them delicious; topping it with raspberries makes them dazzling or not . Wait…can food be dazzling
Anyways, these taste bud sensation are simple and oh so delicious, even for scones haters- they are nowhere close to the wants you find at the coffee shops.
If I haven’t convince you yet, may I add they can be made ahead and stored in the freezer- all you need to do is pop in the oven and in less than 20 minutes everyone is enjoying these scones.
You can even take these scones to work and your co-workers would love you! Feel free to switch up the chocolate .
- 3-½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- ⅔-cup sugar
- 2-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½-teaspoon table salt
- 8 oz. unsalted butter (150 grams), diced
- ¾ -cup sour cream
- 2 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1- tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2- tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup chocolate chip (white or semi-chocolate chips)
- 1 ¼ fresh raspberries (about 6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated. Stir in the chocolate
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla, sour cream, milk and grated orange
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together (like a ball)
- Put dough on floured surface, and pat (gently!) with your hands only, until dough is about ½” thick. Fold dough over on itself about 5 times, and then gently press down.
- Place about ⅓ of the raspberries on the dough, fold once and spread to about 1 inch thick
- Use a heart shape cough cutter to slice the dough. Top each scone with raspberry.
- You may freeze the scones at this point place an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove and serve warm