Slow Cooker Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken-An incredibly rich-in-flavor all time Jamaican classic- Jamaican Brown Chicken Sauce right in your slow cooker.
Ok … so I know it’s not exactly pull out the crockpot weather for some folks but I just can’t help but share this slow cooker brown stewed chicken with you. There is so much to love here,
I can’t begin to tell you how much am in love with this brown stew chicken.
The chicken marinate alone would have you hooked from the get go. This will make your taste- buds happy and true to my kind of recipes, you don’t need napkins. Because you are going to lick your fingers clean and nibble on the bones.
No body is watching anyways! And who cares if they are watching. They will quickly follow your lead before the meal is over. Can you tell I have tons of experience in this domain?
Grab a seat, while I tell you about this classic Jamaican Brown stew – Chicken on the bone is marinated with an aromatic blend of spices (ginger, garlic, thyme, pepper, green onions, over night (preferably) browned, to enhanced it’s flavor, then slowly simmered in a fragrant sauce of garlic, herbs, bell peppers, ketchup, onions. Yep! Really tasty!
It’s straightforward and a snap to put together.Don’t be deterred by the ingredients-
Traditionally it is made with whole parts of chicken.However, I prefer chicken thighs –ease of preparation rich meaty flavor and most important they can easily withstand the longer cooking time and emerge meltingly tender.
If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can always make this stovetop too, it’s just that easy and practical. Just follow the same instructions and instead of, adding everything into the pot, you add some stock, bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer. Easy!
Want a quicker version? Check out this brown stew chicken here
- When adding chicken, it is a great idea to brown the chicken first, for a few minutes, sauté the garlic, onions stove top, before adding to the crockpot. Small step = huge flavors.
- If you want to throw everything in the crockpot and cook away, that’s fine too. I tried it and it wasn’t bad at all. But I prefer the former.
- Jamaican Browning sauce aka burnt sugar is a favorite West Indian condiment use in most households to add, sweetness and color in stews, soups, and even cakes.
- It’s available in Caribbean Markets, Wal-Mart and even some supermarkets. Don’t sweat it! You can certainly make this without burnt sugar
Celebrate this Holiday Season with this Sorrel drink here
- 5-6 chicken thighs bone in trimmed of excess fat
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons bouillon chicken powder
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1-teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 green onions diced
- 2 Tablespoons or more canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large onion diced
- 1-teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1-teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1-teaspoon hot sauce (sub chili sauce)
- 1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 small bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¾ cup chicken broth/water
- Salt and to taste
- Place chicken thighs in a large bowl or slow-cooker insert. Then seasoned with all marinate ingredients- salt, chicken bouillon, garlic, ginger, paprika, white pepper and thyme. Mix chicken with a spoon or with hands until they are well coated, cover tightly and set aside in the fridge Marinate for about an hour or preferably over night
- When ready to cook heat up a skillet or large sauce pan with about 2 tablespoons oil, and then brown the chicken about 3-4 minutes until chicken is golden brown: remove and place in the crockpot. Drain any excess oil from the skillet and leave about 2 Tablespoons of oil.
- Add onions, garlic, hot sauce, smoked paprika, sugar,browning sauce, ketchup, bell peppers and salt to taste. Stir for about 2-3 minutes until onions is translucent.
- Then add to crockpot, deglaze pan with about ¾ cup of water add to slow cooker, together with ketchup, brown sauce and any remaining marinate from the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3-4 hours. Remove and serve with rice and beans
Heat up a skillet or large sauce pan with about 2 tablespoons oil, and then brown the chicken about 3-4 minutes until chicken is golden brown
Drain any excess oil from the skillet and leave about 2 Tablespoons of oil.Add onions, garlic, hot sauce, smoked paprika, and bell peppers. Stir for about 2-3 minutes until onions is translucent.
Add to crockpot, deglaze pan with about ¾ cup of water/ stock then add to slow cooker, together with ketchup, brown sauce and any remaining marinate from the chicken.
Cover and cook on high for about 3-4 hours.
Are you on Instagram? Then join me for a visual of tasty recipes .