Thai Basil Chicken-Make this takeout at home in less than 20 minutes. It’s insanely flavorful,healthier, and lighter than the takeout version and guaranteed hit with the family.
I would eat this, any day of the week, and for any length of time, but it’s especially perfect for this time of the year,
My reasoning tells me that it is somewhat healthy, that is, if you choose to make it so(cut back on the oil). So basically I am still upholding my new years resolution.
Garlic, basil and chili pepper are one heavenly pair! Boy! Am so obsessed with these Thai flavors. Yes, I may tend to use this term loosely around here but I really am.
I can say for a fact that am not the only one, cause as soon as I start making it, everyone wants to know what am making- then they start flocking to the kitchen or salivating.
Before my blogging days I use to incorporate these flavors in my cooking as often as I could. Now, not so much- I have to diversify right? But when I want something quick and have some basil laying around, am on it – like white on rice. I doubled the batch. The first set of these did not end up on the blog-we just could not resist. The aromatic flavors waving through the house would make you extremely hungry. They are laying peacefully in my tummy.
Traditionally, Thai basil chicken is pretty spicy while this one has quite a kick to it; it is definitely on the mild side. Instead of using the “super hot” red chili pepper, I sub with sriracha sauce and pepper flakes so my mini sous chef can also enjoy it too!
If you are heat seeker definitely add more chili sauce or use the spicy red chili, if you can find them.
For an extra special touch, light fry basil until crispy and use as garnish.
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce or more adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves(about 10 or more leaves)
- If you are serving with rice start cooking the rice before you start making the chicken
- Heat oil in a wok or saucepan swirl to coat pan and then add onions, garlic, sriracha sauce and pepper flakes sauté until fragrant. About 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to let it burn
- Add chicken, cook until chicken is longer pink and it is slightly brown.
- Then add soy sauce, sugar and fish sauce- continue cooking until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Finally stir in the basil leaves. Turn off the heat once the leaves are wilted.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with rice.