Thai Basil Chicken
Thai Basil Chicken-Make this takeout at home in less than 20 minutes. It’s insanely flavorful,healthier, and lighter than the takeout version and guaranteed hit with the family.
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic sliced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce or more adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves about 10 or more leaves
If you are serving with rice start cooking the rice before you start making the chicken
Heat oil in a wok or saucepan swirl to coat pan and then add onions, garlic, sriracha sauce and pepper flakes sauté until fragrant. About 2 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to let it burn
Add chicken, cook until chicken is longer pink and it is slightly brown. You may add a little water , if desired to prevent burns.
Then add soy sauce, sugar and fish sauce- continue cooking until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked.
Finally stir in the basil leaves. Turn off the heat once the leaves are wilted.
Transfer to a serving plate and serve with rice.
- Thai basil chicken is pretty spicy while this one has quite a kick to it; it is definitely on the mild side. Instead of using the “super hot” red chili pepper, I sub with sriracha sauce and pepper flakes.
- If you are heat seeker definitely add more chili sauce or use the spicy red chili, if you can find them.
- For an extra special touch, light fry basil until crispy and use as garnish.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 742mg | Potassium: 375mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.4mg