Jamaican Run Down
Jamaican run down – An incredible flavorful Fish stew cooked in coconut milk, tomato, onions, garlic and other seasonings , until it thickens up . Pair with dumplings, boiled bananas or rice for one amazing taste.
- 1 1/2 -2 pound red snapper fillet /mackerel or any fatty fish)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon or more I used creole seasoning
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic or ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tomatoes with its juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper optional
- Salt to taste.
Cut fish in large chunks, rinsed and set aside.
In a large or large skillet heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add garlic, onions, bay leaf, thyme, whole scotch bonnet pepper and stir for about a minute.
Throw in tomatoes, paprika followed by coconut milk, white pepper and salt
Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 4-5minutes. Then add fish, continue cooking for about 7 minutes or more until fish is fully cooked and reached desired doneness and texture. Adjust sauce thickness and seasonings, if desired according to preference. Add parsley Simmer for a minute or two. Remove from heat, toss out bay leaf and serve warm
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 650mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 775IU | Vitamin C: 11.6mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 0.5mg