African Stewed Spinach
Stewed Spinach – Super simple way of enjoy spinach African style -bursting with a good amount of greens and delivers the perfect amount spice. A quick and easy way of putting greens on the table.
Servings 5 -6
- ½ pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning (or your favorite spice mix) Adjust to taste
- ½ pound chopped smoked turkey
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoons thyme optional
- 4-5 fresh tomatoes chopped
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, whole scotch bonnet pepper works too!
- 1- teaspoon paprika
- 3 pounds spinach frozen thawed and drained
- ½ -1 cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1- teaspoon bouillon powder or Maggie cube optional
Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.Season shrimp with salt and creole seasoning(salt free) or use favorite seasoning .
Lightly sauté the shrimp in about 2 tablespoons oil ,until turns pink about 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Add the smoked turkey sauté with onions in the oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring often and scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
Add minced garlic , thyme , cayenne or whole pepper, paprika, chicken (bouillon) and cook stirring for about a minute, then add tomatoes . cook for about 10 minutes. Salt lightly
Through in the spinach, and let it simmer, for about 3-5 minutes.
You may add saute shrimp at the point or serve with shrimp on top of the spinach , adjust for seasonings
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 602mg | Potassium: 1816mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 26215IU | Vitamin C: 86.8mg | Calcium: 352mg | Iron: 9.3mg