Coconut Bread - super easy and tasty bread loaded with coconut goodness from coconut milk, shredded coconut and coconut extract then topped with lime glaze for added citrusy sweetness. Perfect for breakfast or for afternoon snack time! No mixer required!
Servings 6 - 8 slices
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract or vanilla extract
- 4 ounce unsalted butter , melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon water or more for desired consistency
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
Bake coconut flakes in the oven on 300 F degrees for about 10 minutes until some parts turn brown. Be careful when browning coconut; they brown fairly quickly. Let it cool. This can be done a day ahead.
In a Large bowl whisk together eggs, coconut milk, lime juice , vanilla or coconut extract and melted butter
While in a small bowl, whisk together, flour, baking powder, salt, butter sugar and grated lime zest.
Add wet ingredients to the whisked flour mixture a little at a time until fully combined.
Stir in shredded coconut, scrape down sides.
Pour batter into loaf pan, place on middle rack and bake for 50 -60 minutes.
Remove and let it cool completely before using glaze.
In a small pan, combine confectioners sugar and lemon juice; adjust with a teaspoon or more water as need to achieve desired consistency. Gently whisk until mixture is smooth, you may use a fork for this too!
Adjust consistency of glaze as desired . It should be pourable and thick.
Spoon the glaze over the top of the cake, letting it drizzle down the sides.
- You may replace all-purpose flour with coconut flour, HOWEVER, you can only substitute 1/4 cup coconut flour and increase the number of eggs. It is BEST to use tried and true coconut recipes when baking so as not to waste a considerable amount ingredients while experimenting.
- If you wish to use coconut flour, you can buy coconut flour in health food stores or search for organic coconut flour online and buy in bulk as they are quite expensive.
- You may replace coconut extract with vanilla extract.
- Watch the coconut flakes while you brown them as they burn quickly. You can do this part ahead of time.
- Make sure the bread has already cooled down before glazing and storing them.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 571kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 1.5mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3.7mg