Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup – super comforting and hearty soup loaded with fresh vegetables and deliciously chunks of tender beef. Feel free to replace veggies with what you may have on had.
Servings 4 - 6 people
- 1- 1 1/2 pound beef stew meat , cut into about 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion , diced (about 1 1/2 cups )
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 stalks celery , diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 14-ounce (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 5-6 cups beef broth or water
- 1 medium carrot , diced (1 1/2 cups )
- 1 russet potatoes (cut in chunks)
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 Beef cube or beef bouillon tablespoon(optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef sauté stirring frequently any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until beef is brown. Drain oil if necessary.
Add onions, garlic,ginger, thyme, oregano and saute for about 3-4 minutes until onions are wilted.
Then add paprika, creole seasoning , celery and tomatoes.
Pour in beef stock or water , potatoes, carrots, lima beans, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a boil, , cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 25 – 35 minutes.
Serve warm with bread or corn bread.
- If you don't have creole seasoning, Italian seasoning (you can check my homemade version HERE) works fine, but of course, there'll be a slight difference with how it'd taste.
- You can use beef stew meat, like I did, or go with either one of these chuck shoulder, chuck roast, chuck-eye roast or top chuck.
- For a thicker and stew-like consistency, cut back the beef stock down to 2 cups.
- If cooking this on a slow cooker, don't forget to brown the meat first before dumping it all into the slow cooker.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 685kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 84g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 221mg | Sodium: 965mg | Potassium: 1674mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3450IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 8.2mg