Beef Barley Soup
Beef Barley Soup - beefy soup loaded with tender chunky beef, plump pearl barley and vegetables. So belly-warming, filling and scrumptious for a soup. A complete meal in a bowl!
Servings 4 - 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1- 1 1/2 pound beef stew meat , cut into about 1 inch cube
- 8 -10 ounce mushrooms
- 1 large onion , diced (about 1 1/2 cups )
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 Large celery , diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium roasted tomatoes or 14-ounce (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 5-6 cups beef broth or water
- 1 cup barley
- 1-1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 beef cube or beef bouillon tablespoon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef, sauté stirring frequently any browned bits off the bottom of the pot until beef is brown. Set aside.
On the same pot, add mushrooms and saute for about 3-5 minutes . Be careful not to let it burn. Set aside.
Add onions, garlic, ginger, bay leaves , thyme, oregano and saute for about 3-4 minutes until onions are wilted.
Then add paprika, Creole seasoning , celery and tomatoes.
Pour in beef stock or water, barley, browned beef, carrots, mushrooms, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 25 – 35 minutes. You might have to add more water or broth, if needed. Adjust seasonings to taste .
Calories: 461kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 964mg | Potassium: 1542mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8975IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 5.1mg