Coq Au Vin
Coq au Vin - classic French rustic dinner with tender chicken braised in a rich red wine sauce with mushrooms, carrots, bacon and pearl onions. Truly one of the most delectable braised recipes in the world!
Servings 8 pieces
- 4 ounces bacon or pancetta , diced
- 3-4 pound chicken , cut in 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to season the chicken
- ½ pound carrots , cut diagonally in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion , sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup Cognac or good brandy
- 1 ½ -2 cups good dry red wine such as Burgundy
- 1 ½ cup good chicken stock , preferably homemade
- 6-7 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , at room temperature, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ pound frozen small whole onions , (pearl onions)
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms , stems removed and thickly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley to garnish
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Add bacon to a large cast iron (I used 12-inch ) heat over moderately low heat. Cook until the bacon renders some of its fat, about 6-8 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Liberally sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. When the bacon is removed, brown the chicken pieces in batches in a single layer for about 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon and continue to brown until all the chicken is done. Set aside.
Add the carrots, onions, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add garlic, mushroom and cook for 1 more minute, then sprinkle in the flour and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until flour is paste-like. Next, add the Cognac and put the bacon, chicken, and any juices that collected on the plate into the pot. Add the wine, chicken stock, and thyme and bring to a simmer. Throw in the pearl onions and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just not pink. Remove from the oven and serve.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 146mg | Sodium: 882mg | Potassium: 686mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 512IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg