Sausage Egg Casserole
Sausage Egg Casserole - truly a crowd-pleasing easy breakfast loaded with sausages, eggs, cheese and cubed bread. And the best part? You can assemble this breakfast casserole the night before and bake it in the morning. Great for busy mornings or for holiday breakfasts!
- 1 pound (453 g) pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 1 medium green pepper , chopped
- 1 medium red pepper , chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) minced garlic
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups (480 ml) whole milk
- 1-1 ½ cups (113 - 169 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon (2 g)salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- ⅓ cup (83 ml) melted butter
- 2 cups (60 g) cubed bread
In a large, deep skillet, cook sausages over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes until sausages are no longer pink, crumbly and evenly brown. Drain well using a colander to get rid of excess grease and set aside to cool.
Melt butter in the skillet, add onions, green and red pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Stir in the sausage, onions, green and red pepper, add shredded cheese, Creole seasoning, salt, baking powder and melted butter. Mix until fully combined.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and place cubed bread inside.
Pour the sausage and egg mixture over the baking dish, making sure it spreads well over the bread.
Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time by making it a day before and keep in the refrigerator overnight. Then bake in the morning as instructed.
- Store leftover sausage egg casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
- Baked sausage egg casserole can be kept in the freezer for about 2 months. You can also keep uncooked sausage egg casserole in the freezer and bake when you want.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1square | Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 258mg | Sodium: 772mg | Potassium: 472mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1292IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 2mg