Potato Croquettes - perfectly golden crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, stuffed with cheese, ham and seasonings. Pair these with your favorite dip or enjoy it as it is and you'll have a fantastic party/game day appetizer or a holiday side dish!
Servings 20 - 25 croquettes
- 2 ½ lbs (1133.98g) russet or baking Potatoes , peeled, cut into small cubes, boiled and cooled.
- ⅓ cup (113.5g) butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (4g) creole seasoning
- ¼ cup (28.75g) chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup (50g) parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (112.5g) cooked bacon chopped or (67.5g) leftover ham
- salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 3-4 large eggs , beaten
- 1 cup (50g) cracker crumbs , or plain bread crumbs or more
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese or mozzarella , small diced
- Vegetable oil , for deep frying
- 1-2 tablespoons (4g-8g) parsley for garnish
Place potatoes in a medium pot, over medium heat in enough water to cover potatoes. Lightly salt. Bring the pot to boil cook for 18-20 minutes just until potatoes are tender. Do a test for doneness with a fork, it should easily pierce through the potatoes.
Drain the potatoes using a colander and add to a large mixing bowl.
Next add butter, milk and creole seasoning, Mash everything together using a fork or potato masher.
Add green onions parmesan cheese and bacon or ham. Thoroughly mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then set aside.
Using three bowls, add eggs to one, flour to another, and bread crumbs to the last.
Scoop out a generous amount of potato mixture using a spoon and roll into a cylinder. The exact shape and size are completely up to you. Place about a teaspoon of cheese in the center and roll them so the cheese is nestled inside. Set aside and complete this process with the rest of the potato mixture.
Gently place a potato croquette into the flour bowl and gently roll to evenly disperse. Then dip in the egg mixture and complete with rolling in the breadcrumbs. Make sure all the ingredients are evenly coating the potato rolls.
Heat vegetable oil in a shallow skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the croquettes one by one and fry until golden brown on each side.
Line a plate with paper towels and place croquettes. Garnish with parsley before serving, if desired.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 231IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg