Southern Style Corn bread
Southern Style Corn Bread - crumbly, moist and buttery Southern cornbread all made from scratch with cornmeal, flour, butter, eggs, buttermilk, and a little sugar. Makes a wonderful snack or side to your bean dishes, stews, soups and ribs. You can never go wrong with this quick and easy Southern classic!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (see notes)
- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar (optional, see notes )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings , for greasing pan (replace with butter)
- melted butter to brush the top of the cornbread after it comes out of the pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the skillet with bacon drippings or butter. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and powder, sugar, and salt.
Whisk in buttermilk, butter, and lightly beaten eggs until well combined.
Heat up cast iron until hot, remove from the heat and carefully pour in batter. The cast skillet gives it a crispy bottom and side crust; sub with a 9 or 10-inch baking pan.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until golden or deeply brown and skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
Brush top of the cornbread with melted butter after it comes off the pan. Serve with your favorite stews, soups or protein-based meal.
- You may replace equal amounts of flour with corn meal for a more authentic and crispy corn bread.
- Most purist say authentic Southern cornbread is not sweet, so leave it out, if you prefer.
- Eggs make cornbread cakey. If you really want a less cakey corn bread, omit the eggs and replace with about ½ cup buttermilk.
- Cast Iron Skillet is best for making corn bread, however, you can use a cake pan or muffin pan.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 414mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2mg