Chicken Gyros is surprisingly easy to make at home! Made with yogurt-marinated chicken tenders that boast huge flavors all wrapped up in pita bread, along with a creamy tangy garlicky sauce and all the fixings you love. Every bit of this classic dish is messy good!
Greek Chicken Marinade
- 2 tablespoons (28ml) olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (6g) lemon zest
- ½ tablespoon (1.37g) fresh thyme , chopped
- 1 tablespoon (3g) oregano , chopped
- 1 tablespoon (3.35g) rosemary , chopped
- 1 tablespoon (4g) parsley , chopped
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup (122.5g) Greek yogurt
- 4 pitas
- Tzatziki sauce
- romaine lettuce , chopped
- 1 cucumber , seeded and sliced
- 1 large tomato , sliced
- 1 small red onion , sliced
- 8 oz (28.35g) feta cheese crumbles , optional
In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley, and nutmeg.
Lightly salt the chicken, then place in a bowl and coat with the marinade. Add yogurt and continue to marinate.
Wrap with plastic or place in an airtight container and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Chicken is good for up to 48 hours.
Preheat a grill pan on medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Grill chicken for about 5 minutes or more on each side or until fully cooked through, if using chicken thighs, it must be cooked a little longer.
- To bake chicken tenders, heat the oven to 375 F. Shake any excess marinade and arrange the chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the chicken for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- For any leftover chicken, transfer it in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Pre-assembled gyros won't keep well in the fridge as the pita or flatbread gets soggy. Simply reheat the chicken when ready to assemble.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1gyro | Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 2mg