This MEXICAN CORNBREAD is soft, moist, delicious with a hint of sweetness and heat filled with corn kernels, jalapeno peppers, green chilies, Monterey Jack, and cheddar cheese. An amazing cornmeal comfort food that pairs well with soups and stews, entrees, or on its own!
Servings 9 slices
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (163 g) ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) baking powder
- ¼ cup (49 g) granulated sugar
- ½ (3 g) teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (227 g) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter , melted
- 1-2 small chopped fresh jalapeño peppers
- 4 oz chopped green chilies , drained (optional)
- 1 cup (165 g) kernel corn
- ½ cup (57 g) grated Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup (57 g) cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 4x4 baking dish or 10-inch skillet and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Whisk in the buttermilk, and the eggs until well combined.
Then, add melted butter, jalapeno peppers, green chiles, corn kernels, Monterey Jack, and cheddar cheese. Thoroughly mix to incorporate all ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle extra grated cheese and jalapeno peppers.
Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until light golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
- Pepper Jack Cheese – Is the spicier version of Monterey Jack. You can use it instead of Monterey Jack if you like to add extra heat and savory flavor to the Mexican Cornbread.
- Whole Wheat Flour – A good source of protein, nutrients and it’s high in fiber. It also has a better flavor than all-purpose flour.
- Plain Yogurt – It has a similar flavor and makeup as buttermilk. Substitute with a 1:1 proportion. If you want a thinner consistency, then you can add water to thin out the yogurt.
- Chives – add this herb to the recipe for a more savory flavor. It also goes well with the cheese flavor.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 187mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 504IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 2mg