Shrimp Hush Puppies
Hush Puppies Recipe - delicious, super easy, bite-sized cornmeal fritters with a beautiful crunchy exterior and a moist inner texture. Makes a fun appetizer or a side dish for gatherings and special occasions.
Servings 3 -5 people
- 1 cup (130 grams) All-purpose flour
- 1 cup (120 grams) Cornmeal
- 1/2 Tablespoon (6 grams) baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons (25 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (8 grams) salt
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) buttermilk
- 2 Large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons (40 grams) un-salted butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons chopped or grated onion
- Oil for frying
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking powder, sugar salt and garlic powder
In another bowl whisk in, buttermilk , and lightly beaten eggs until well combined
Add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until fully incorporated, then add grated onions and butter
Heat up a large skillet or cast iron with oil up to ½ inch- medium-high heat (375) until hot but not smoking.
Scoop up the batter with a spoon preferably and fry in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will absorb excess oil , resulting in soggy hushpuppies)
Using a slotted spoon, remove the hush puppies and place them on paper towels.
- Do not overmix the batter. Stir around 8-10 times or until the dry and liquid ingredients are barely combined together. Overmixing results to a tough texture.
- Let the batter stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before shaping them into balls.
- You may use a Dutch oven or a deep cast-iron skillet to fry. Just make sure it's at least 5-6 inches deep or enough for the batter to be submerged in a 3-4 inches of oil.
- Be sure to fry in batches until golden brown, flipping several times using slotted spoon or frying utensil to cook evenly. Overcrowding the pan will result for the oil temperature to drop down and some greasy hush puppies.
- You may use a cookie scoop to make the dropping process a breeze. But if you don't have one, make sure to dip the spoon into a glass of water between each hush puppy to keep the dough from sticking.
- Drain on double layer of paper towels or on a wire rack.
- Hush Puppies can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days and reheat them in the oven at 450 degree for about 8-10 minutes.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 558kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 853mg | Potassium: 525mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 4.3mg