Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Slow Cooker Beef Stew - a savory, hearty bowl of beef stew slowly cooked to perfection with the aroma from onion, ginger, fresh thyme and smoked paprika and some vegetable add-ons of potatoes, carrots and peas. A perfect winter season comfort food!
Servings 4 - 5 people
- 2 pounds (0.91 kg) stew beef cut in small chunks
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon (2.80 g) minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons (32.76 g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Bouillon powder Beef Chicken or vegetable adjust to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (0.80 g) fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon (2.1 g) smoked paprika
- 2 cups (470 ml) broth/water or more
- 2-3 Green Onions, diced
- 1-2 pounds (500 g-1 kl) potatoes cut in large chunks
- 2-3 Large carrots cut in large chunks
- 8-10 ounce Mushrooms
- 1 cup (150 g) peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons (7.6 g-11.4 g) parsley (optional)
Season stew beef with salt and pepper to thoroughly cover all sides
Heat the oil an oven safe Dutch oven pan over medium heat. Add stew beef and brown well, turning once, about 2 -3 minutes per side, until beef browns up. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.
Add onions, ginger, garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, and bay leaf to the skillet. Stir for about 2-3 minutes until onions is translucent.
Add tomato paste and bouillon. Stir for another minute,, then add water or broth to the skillet scrape all sides, Bring to a boil , remove and and pour in the slow cooker.
Then throw in carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and peas in the slow cooker and salt according to preference.
Cover and cook on high for about 3-4 hours or low for 6 -7 hours.
Remove, garnish with parsley and serve with bread.
Calories: 682kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 68g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 176mg | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 1362mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6050IU | Vitamin C: 40.3mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 10.8mg