Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
Rich, fudgy, and decadent molten cake fortified with rum and nutmeg and filled with a silky chocolatey filling. These impressive but easy to prepare cakes come together in less than 20 minutes and make the perfect Valentine's Day dessert or when you need a quick-fix dessert.
- 2 (28g) oz dark chocolate
- 2 (28g) oz milk chocolate
- 5 (70) tablespoons butter
- ¼ (31.25) cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ (93.75g) cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (4.2g) teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15ml) tablespoon rum
- ½ (1g) teaspoon nutmeg (optional) for nutmeg lovers only
Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease 3 " 6-ounce" or 4 "4-ounce" custard cups or small ramekins with a cooking spray or butter.
Combine the chocolates and butter in a medium bowl, then microwave. If microwave is not your thing, then melt it in a double broiler over medium heat while stirring occasionally until melted.
Whisk in the flour and sugar into the chocolate mixture, making sure everything is incorporated.
Stir in the eggs until everything is even and smooth. Add the vanilla extract, rum, and nutmeg. Mix well, scrape down the sides.
Divide the mixture evenly among the custard cups. Bake for at least 8 -10 minutes. The cakes will rise slightly and will wiggle if you shake the pan slightly.
Run a knife around the edges of the ramekins to loosen and invert the cakes onto dessert plates.
Serve warm with ice-cream, whipped cream, strawberry, or powdered sugar.
- You can use 4, 6, or 8-oz ramekins or a muffin pan.
- Make sure to dust your muffin pan cups with cocoa powder or grease it with a cooking spray or butter so the lava cakes won’t stick to them.
- You may omit nutmeg, vanilla extract, or rum, but these three add a great a flavor profile in this lava cake recipe.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 16-oz ramekin | Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 214mg | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 271mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 828IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 4mg