African Yam Soup Stew
African Yam Soup (Stew) - flavorful, gratifying and is easy to put together stew packed with health goodness. A must-have dish on weekly rotation.
Servings 4 -5
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 3-4 basil leaves
- ½ medium onion cho[[ed
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 5 cups of water or more
- 1 1/2 -2 pounds yam peeled and cut into medium pieces sub potatoes
- 2 pounds fish tilapia,snapper, or chicken (thighs, legs)(cleaned and cut into medium pieces)
- 1-2 cups sliced carrots
- Optional Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper optional
In a food processor or blender, blend, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, basil, onions, and ginger.
Add to a large pot, together with the white pepper, smoked paprika, Maggie/bouillon, green onion, and about 3 cups of water, bring to a boil. If using chicken, add at this point. Then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
Gently add yams, fish, carrots, salt and more water about 2 cups – enough to cover the ingredients. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes.Adjust for seasonings.
Remove and serve warm.
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 495mg | Potassium: 1854mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6450IU | Vitamin C: 32.4mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2.5mg