Bruschetta - a classic Italian recipe that can be served as light dinner, appetizer or a crowd-pleasing DIY bruschetta spread. Made with fresh simple garden ingredients topped on slices of crusty bread. It's a winning party recipe. So simple yet so good!
Servings 8 slices
- 4-5 ripe roma tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs, 2-21/2 cups)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves , thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt , more or less to taste
- 1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
Wash and finely dice tomatoes using a sharp knife, taking out the seeds and jelly interior to avoid a runny topping; lightly drain.
In a large bowl, combine diced tomatoes, finely chopped onions and sliced basil and stir.
In a small bowl combine; garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper and salt. Pour mixture into tomatoes, mix rigorously and allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour to help make the flavors soak and blend together. This makes it real juicy.
Cut the baguette diagonally into ¾ inch thick using a bread knife. With a brush or spoon, spread melted butter and garlic mix on the sliced bread. Toast bread in a pan coated with oil or melted butter until it is lightly browned. If using the oven to toast, preheat oven to 400°F grease a baking sheet with olive oil and lay bread slices, bake both sides until lightly brown.
Top bread with bruschetta and serve.
- Either serve the toasts plain with a bowl of the bruschetta on the side for people to top their own, or use a spoon to gently top each toasted bread with bruschetta. If you top each slice individually, do it right before serving.
- You can toast the bread ahead of time and add the topping when you are ready to serve.
- Use sturdy bread to easily hold in the tomato topping.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 412mg | Potassium: 115mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg