Pumpkin Cake - moist, fluffy, well-spiced fall cake coated in a delicious and aromatic caramel cream cheese frosting. The ultimate cake for celebrating Halloween or fall. This could easily be your new favorite cake!
Servings 12 slices
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese , nearly at room temperature
- 3 ½ cups (420g) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (113g) unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
Preheat oven to 350℉.
In a medium bowl, mix eggs, sour cream, sugar, pumpkin, and butter.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Add vanilla extract and mix.
Pour mixture into 9x13 baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown and set aside to cool.
Caramel: Combine butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and once boiling reduce heat to low and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Pour the caramel into a mixing bowl and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes so it can cool, it will thicken slightly. If caramel gets too hard and is difficult to work with, add 1 more tablespoon of heavy cream.
Cream Cheese: In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and softened butter. Add the caramel sauce to the cream cheese mixture until combined.
Using a spatula, smooth the frosting over the cooled pumpkin cake immediately or frosting will harden.
- If you can’t find pumpkin pie spice, substitute 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon spice, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ⅛ ground clove
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 614.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 92.14g | Protein: 5.6g | Fat: 26.08g | Saturated Fat: 15.46g | Cholesterol: 122.86mg | Sodium: 449.47mg | Potassium: 171.12mg | Fiber: 0.64g | Sugar: 74.41g | Vitamin A: 897.92IU | Vitamin C: 0.12mg | Calcium: 89.7mg | Iron: 1.67mg