Cornbread Salad- an extraordinary salad made with layers of homemade cornbread, beans, corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, green onions then topped with bacon bits, cheese, and a generous serving of ranch dressing. Each ingredient is in complete harmony. This easy salad recipe is everything you’ll need for a special family dinner or when entertaining!
Servings 10 - 12 people
- 1 bunch homemade cornbread , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3-4 cups tomatoes , seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper , diced
- 1-½ cup green bell pepper , diced
- 2 (14.5 oz each) cans red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn , rinsed and drained
- 8-10 bacon strips , diced
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 1-2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup green onion , diced
- ½ cup parsley , , chopped for garnish (optional)
- homemade ranch dressing
Heat the skillet or cast iron over medium-high heat. Then add chopped bacon, cook until the bacon is brown, turning as needed until brown and crunchy about 6-7 minutes or more.
For the assembly, you can use a large glass bowl or you can equally arrange on a large serving bowl.
Arrange according to preference or you can refer to the picture for guidance - cornbread, tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, bacon, and onions. Top the salad with cheddar cheese ( if desired), green onions, parsley, and ranch dressing. I usually reserve the ranch dressing until ready to be served.
Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving. Serve with extra ranch dressing on the side.
- Swap kidney beans with pinto or black beans.
- For best results, make your cornbread at least 4 hours ahead.
- Keep any leftover in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Take note that the texture starts to change like the cornbread starts to get soggy.
- Prepare this dish at least an hour before serving.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 230mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1354IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 3mg