Cucumber and Onion Salad
This salad delivers a refreshing variation on the traditional lettuce-based salad. The crisp cool of cucumber contrasts with the bite of sweet red onion to create this flavorful family favorite.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, diced
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper flakes, or more to taste (optional)
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
Slice cucumbers thin, using a sharp knife or mandoline, whichever works best for you.
Add sliced cucumbers to a large bowl, sprinkle them with salt, and toss to combine. Set aside 30-60 minutes to draw out the liquid from the cucumbers.
Line a baking tray with paper towels. Set aside.
Use a colander to drain liquid from the cucumbers. Then thoroughly rinse using cold water. Drain as much liquid as possible.
Place on a prepared baking sheet and pat dry to soak off excess liquid.
Add cucumbers to a salad or large bowl with sliced onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper to taste.
Whisk vinegar, sugar, and water together, and pour over the cucumbers. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator 1-2 hours before serving.
- Eliminate the cucumber's bitter taste by peeling all or some of the skin.
- Add some dill to enhance the salad with extra flavor.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to add some zest and zing to the salad.
- You can swap white vinegar with apple cider vinegar.
- Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on the products used in the recipe.
Serving: 150g | Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1752mg | Potassium: 251mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 146IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg