Trinidad Corn Soup
Trinidad Style Corn Soup- A Warm, heart and filling Caribbean corn soup that’s incredibly creamy and slightly sweet, perfect for those winter nights or warm summer days.
Servings 6 -7
- 4-6 thick cut bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- ¼ cup celery finely diced
- 2 greens onion finely chopped
- 1 fresh scotch bonnet pepper or jalapeños pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper finely chopped
- 4-5 cups frozen corn replace with 4-5 fresh corn
- 3 cups chopped squash or sweet potatoes
- 3 cups or more broth or water
- 1 14-ounce Can Coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chicken bouillon optional adjust to taste
In a large pan , cook the bacon until just crisp. (About 5-7 minutes). Remove bacon from pan and Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
Drain the oil leave about 2 tablespoons or more of bacon drippings in the pan.
Then add onions, garlic and thyme sauté for about a minute, followed by celery, scotch bonnet pepper, green onion. Continue cooking for about 5-7 minutes until onions is soft.
Add corn and squash cook for further minute or two before pouring in the coconut milk, water. Then let it cook for about 10minutes or more until squash is tender. Reserve about 1/3 or more soup.
Use an immersion blender to coarsely blend the remaining soup in the pot. Then return reserved corn mixture back into the pot, bring to a boil.Adjust for seasonings salt pepper and soup consistency When soup is piping hot, remove serve it garnish with bacon and parsley.
- If you plan to leave to leave the soup unblended, then leave out the coconut milk and use broth for best texture/flavor.
- Use Cayenne pepper in place of the hot peppers
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 689mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8170IU | Vitamin C: 53.7mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1.6mg