Hot Potatoes (African Stewed Potatoes)
Hot Pot Potatoes aka Stewed Potatoes - Potatoes simmered in a tomato, onion and vegetables sauce - flavored with garlic .
Servings 4 -5
- 2.5 pounds russet potatoes
- .5 cup canola oil
- 1.5 pound smoked turkey
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chicken bouillon optional
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium bell pepper green or red chopped
- Salt to taste
Peel potatoes and cut into big chunks. Place in water to prevent discoloration.
Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
Add the smoked turkey, sauté with onions in the oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring often and scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, paprika, Maggie (bouillon) and cook stirring for about 5-7 minutes.
Throw in the potatoes, water and let it simmer, for about 5-7 minutes. Then add carrots and bell pepper, continue cooking until potatoes are tender. You may have to stir occasionally to prevent burns.
Adjust for seasonings and serve.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 1793mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6545IU | Vitamin C: 61.6mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 5.3mg