Baked Crispy Donuts – Guilt-Free Baked Crispy Donuts. Surprising EASY to make and equally DELICIOUS!
Ever since I discovered how easy it is to make these Krispy Kreme Donuts at home it has been a tumultuous relationship. I love the buzz I get from eating these fresh from the fryer doughnuts. Words can begin to describe it. However, the buzz soon fades away then guilt takes over. You know what am talking about -it is not a cool feeling.
Some people like eating their cake and having it too. I am just one of those people. Why can’t I enjoy a Krispy Kreme doughnut without the guilt? Why? . Is there anything wrong with that?
So I decided on a baked version of this Krispy doughnut– no hovering around the fryer for me. Something comparable to the fried one yet equally Delicious.
Although I would hardly describe this baked Crispy donut as melt in your mouth. It is quite tasty and Dangerously good. My son and I eat this whole batch . Yeah, they are that good. We have taken a break from the fried version.
Ok, don’t be admiring my glaze skills . I work too hard to get it just right. Hahaha.
In this recipe, I used only egg yolks; added more yeast and increase the butter – for a moist doughnut.
Here are some tips for making this doughnut:
- Do not over-bake the doughnut. They continue to bake after they are out of the oven.
- Be sure to let the doughnut double in size before baking- this depends on room temperature and weather .
- You may use cinnamon sugar instead of a glaze.
Baked Crispy Donut Recipe
- 1/3 cup water 105-115F / 40-46C
- 5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 egg yolks extra large 2 large 3
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 100 grams butter
Simple Sugar Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4- 6 tablespoons water or milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered or confectioner sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water or milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a stand mixer, combine lukewarm water and yeast. Let it sit until dissolve for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a microwave safe medium bowl, heat milk for about 2 minutes. Remove and let it cool.
- Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 2 cups of flour to bowl of yeast.
- Mix for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add the remaining 3 cups of flour and continue mixing dough. Scraping down sides.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover loosely with a clean clothe and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 to 2 hours or until doubled.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter or cookie cutter about one 1-inch and one 3 or 4-inch .Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the bottom of the doughnuts are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for about a minute or two.
- Dip doughnuts in glaze and let it drip on the rack.
- In a mixing bowl sift the powdered sugar, then add all the other ingredients. Mix until all the ingredients have been fully combined.