Braaibroodjie (South African Grilled Cheese Sandwich) – Am going to give you one more reason to fire up the grill this season.
You are starring at them. Braaibroodjies, yes, grill cheese sandwiches –South African Style. It might just be your new favorite this season. Oeey, gooey, Smokey, cheesy, creamy, spicy, sweet and crunchy. Need I say more?
It didn’t take me too long to come up with these adjectives, because with just one bite you can feel it in your mouth. It ‘s a feeling you just have to try. A South African barbecue may just not be the same without these sandwiches on the grill. For some folks this is the best part of their barbecue experience. Somewhat of a treat after you have had your bbq.
It is quite simple to put together all you need is some sandwich bread (a real sturdy bread, one that can withstand all the fillings and still remain tender). Then pick a cheese, the one that rocks your boat. I prefer Smokey cheeses but with this sandwich I used Swiss cheese. Then the other elements that make up this sandwich are onions, tomatoes and chutney, maybe mayonnaise. Optional.
I don’t care too much for raw onions so I sauté or caramelize the onions before adding it to the sandwich. You make a choice. The sweetness and spiciness of this South African Grilled Cheese Sandwich comes from this mango chutney. It is a super simple chutney to put together, or you can use store bought chutney or jam.
If you still want to make this sandwich without firing up a grill, you sure can. Use a Panini pan, grill pan or skillet. Grease pan and grill or toast sandwich on both sides, until cheese has melted and sandwich is toasted. Enjoy!!!
Braaibroodjie (South African Grilled Cheese Sandwich)- Am going to give you one more reason to fire up the grill this season.
- 2-3 Large Onion Sliced
- 3-4 Fresh Sliced Tomatoes
- Mango Chutney Homemade chutney here
- 8 Slices or more good-quality bread White, Wheat
- 8 Cheese sliced or grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Mayonnaise optional
- Caramelized Onions
- 2 Tablespoons or more Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minute
- To ensure crispy bread butter both sides of the bread.
- Then layer sandwiches with onion, tomatoes, cheese slices or grated cheese, chutney, you may season with pepper, if using store bought chutney
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
- Preheat grill pan or large skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches 3 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Clean barbecue of any remaining food after grilling, if necessary oil grill with paper towel dipped in a little bit of oil,
- Place the sandwiches on the grill or inside a barbeque basket, it really helps facilitate flipping the sandwich around if you are a novice, slowly grill until they are golden brown and cheese has melted, about 2 minutes or more per side, depending on grill. Be careful when grilling because they grill up fast.