Carrot Ginger Soup – healthy and refreshing soup made with roasted carrots and sweet potatoes blended together with coconut milk, vegetable broth, and sauteed onions and ginger. It can be made completely vegan by replacing butter with coconut oil. Such a flavorful and comforting soup for the cold days!
Hello, soup season!
I just love the sunny weather here in L.A., but during this time of the year, there’s just no escape from the coldness outside. And being the sunny type of girl that I am, a cold-weather season could dampen me.
Good thing, I have an arsenal of good soup recipes ready to brighten up my day. And this carrot soup, my friends, is one of our family’s new favorite. Let me tell you why.
Health Benefits of Carrots
Ever since we got a bigger fridge (see my kitchen appliance upgrade story HERE), hubby and I have improved our food choices, meaning more wholesome food groups and lesser processed ones stored in the fridge. And one of his favorites is carrots.
These popular orange tubers are crunchy, tasty and jam-packed with nutrients. They are a good source of beta carotene, fiber, potassium, vitamins K1 and B6, and anti-oxidants. If you haven’t heard, their carotene anti-oxidants have been linked to reducing the risk of cancer.
Although this Carrot Pineapple Cake has been a pure indulgence to me for years, I couldn’t just deny how this carrot soup recipe has quickly stolen my heart.
Carrot Ginger Soup Ingredients
If you’re a big “souper” (soup lover, brilliant term, right?), like me, you’re more likely to fall head over heels with this bright and creamy blended soup with a hint of orange zest. It’s a fantastic lunch or dinner dish that could quickly brighten up your day, especially on a cold day like this. Plus, most, if not all, of the ingredients needed for this recipe, are probably sitting at your pantry now.
Here’s what you need to make this incredible Carrot Ginger Soup recipe:
- unsalted butter (swap with coconut oil to make this vegan)
- salt and pepper to a taste
- sweet potatoes
- orange zest
- coconut milk (or almond milk)
- vegetable or chicken broth (go for the former if you want this completely vegan)
Roasted Carrot Soup
What makes this carrot and ginger soup extra special is the roasted carrots. Okay, to be honest, I could just go ahead and throw in the carrots and sweet potatoes directly into the blender. Life is easier that way. Seriously. But I didn’t.
So I took the extra time to roast first the carrots to draw out its natural sugars. And for that added flavor, I also toss in some roasted garlic ’cause why not. It was all worth the extra minutes!
How Long Can You Keep Carrot Soup in the Fridge?
When stored properly, this carrot ginger coconut soup could last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply heat it on the stovetop over medium heat for a few minutes. You might need to add more broth if needed.
As for freezing, let the soup cool down completely before transferring it in portions in freezer-safe containers. Then store it in the freezer for up to 5-6 months. When ready to serve, just reheat over medium heat until it starts to simmer. This soup would make a great make-ahead weekday lunch or dinner starter.
What to Serve with Carrot Ginger Soup?
Did you know that I always have seconds of this when I make one? Yep, I just can’t help it, especially when it’s paired with some carby stuff. Here’s my favorite among them.
More Soup Recipes to Explore
Wanna warm up? Try checking out any of these soup recipes below.
- Minestrone Soup
- Tomato Bisque
- Okra Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Lentil Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- French Onion Soup
How To Make Carrot Ginger Soup
Preheat oven to 375 ℉.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly disperse the carrots, garlic, and sweet potatoes on top.
Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven to roast for one hour, flipping halfway. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger, sauteing until onions turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When the onions start to brown, take off the heat and transfer to a high powered blender along with the carrots, garlic, sweet potatoes, orange zest, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Blend on high for 60 seconds or until smooth. Pour into bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds and serve with bread.
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion , diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound carrots , peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- ½ pound sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup coconut milk , (can be subbed for almond milk)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375 ℉.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly disperse the carrots, garlic, and sweet potatoes on top. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven to roast for one hour, flipping halfway. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger, sauteing until onions turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When the onions start to brown, take off the heat and transfer to a high powered blender along with the carrots, garlic, sweet potatoes, orange zest, coconut milk, and vegetable broth.
- Blend on high for 60 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds and serve with bread.
Tips & Notes:
- To make it completely vegan, repalce butter with coconut oil.
- Swap coconut milk with almond milk, if desired.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.