Vegetable Soup – homemade vegetable soup that is so comforting and flavorful with earthy spices and aroma and a creamy goodness from coconut milk. Perfect for cozy cold nights!
This post is sponsored by Mann’s Fresh Vegetables. The opinions and texts are all mine. Thanks to Mann’s for partnering with Immaculate Bites on this hearty and easy Vegetable Soup.
Winter season is definitely my kind of season – sweatshirts, hot choco and snuggling down in bed – I’m all down for this. But the highlight of this season for me are the SOUPS. How can I resist those big warm bowl of healthy soups?
I’ve never been as excited as this on a winter season. Perhaps, partly because I now work from home and I can just whip up a good hearty soup anytime I want.
Well, it may need a lot of chopping but I don’t mind at all. Good thing too is that I don’t need to peel and chop butternut squash (and maybe get a little cut due to slip ups).
Mann’s pre-cubed Butternut Squash makes it easier for me. ‘Cause let’s all admit it, the peeling stage is the most tedious one especially when you’re handling butternut squashes. And what’s a good vegetable soup without our favorite – butternut squash?
With Mann’s pre-cut veggies, I can just add the butternut squash right into the pot. It saved me few minutes which can be delegated to preparing sides or cleaning the counter. I’m all for anything convenient! 😉
They also have other pre-cut veggies that are perfect for those busy nights and are ready to cook!
As you can see, the ingredient list is a bit long, but don’t let it scare you off. Just imagine all the nutrients you get with just a bowl of this. Aaaand, the beauty of this classic vegetable soup is that you can adjust the vegetables you put in and its quantities. You can make it according to your preference.
While most vegetable soup would usually taste bland, I guarantee, that this one is one of the most flavorful vegetable soup you’ll ever have and you’ll even add it on weekly rotation. I, myself, can’t stop just for one bowl. Go for seconds and thirds, friends!
You’ll have the heartiest and healthiest bowl of winter soup with this recipe.
What are you waiting for? Don’t wait ’til weekend to whip this up. Serve it with warm crusty bread or cornbread for a completely satisfying meal.
How to Make Vegetable Soup
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery and thyme saute for about 3-4 minutes until onions are wilted.
Then add tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, kidney beans, carrots, corn and squash (I used Mann’s pre-cut Butternut Squash).
Also add curry powder, smoked paprika, and dried oregano. Mix thoroughly to incorporate well the seasonings. Pour in chicken stock or broth (if you want thicker soup pour less and increase amount of coconut milk).
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until squash are tender, about 20 – 30 minutes, then add coconut milk and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm with bread or cornbread.
Watch How To Make It
- 2 tablespoons (27.20 g) cooking oil
- 1 large onion , diced (about 1 1/2 cups )
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ tablespoon (3 g) minced ginger
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) dried oregano
- 1-3 teaspoons (1.4 g - 4.2 g) thyme
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) curry powder
- 2 teaspoons (4.2 g) smoked paprika
- 2 stalks celery , diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 large carrot , diced (1 1/2 cups )
- 1 cup (150 g) Green beans
- 1 ½ cup (225 g) Zucchini , diced
- 1 15-ounce can (420 g) kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup (247.5 g) frozen corn
- 10 ounce (283.5 g) butternut squash, large cubes (I used Mann's pre-cut Butternut Squash)
- 6 cups (1,440 g) chicken broth
- ½ -1 cup (113-226 g) canned coconut milk
- Freshly ground white or black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery and thyme saute for about 3-4 minutes until onions are wilted.
- Then add tomatoes , zucchini, green beans, kidney beans, carrots, corn and squash (I used Mann's pre-cut Butternut Squash).
- Pour in chicken stock or broth (if you want thicker soup pour less and increase amount of coconut milk
- Bring to a boil, , cover and simmer until squash are tender, about 20 – 30 minutes, then add coconut milk and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm with bread or corn bread.
Tips & Notes:
- Be sure not to rush the first step of this recipe which is to saute onions, garlic, celery and thyme which is the foundation of a flavorful vegetable soup. Cook them long enough to be softened to release its flavors.
- You have to consider the cook time of each ingredient. Stagger the addition of vegetables so they all get cooked through as close as possible.
- Since most stock has high level of sodium and so as canned beans, make sure to salt sparingly and save most of your seasoning almost at the end. Adjust accordingly to your preference.
- Homemade broth is always the best choice for a vegetable soup since you decide how you want it to taste.
- Once soup has come to boil, lower the heat and allow it to simmer or else the vegetables will get all mushy.
- If you want a thicker soup, pour less broth and increase the amount of coconut milk.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Leave a Review