Vegetable Beef Soup – super comforting and hearty soup loaded with fresh vegetables and deliciously chunks of tender beef. Feel free to replace veggies with what you may have on hand. Ready in just 45 minutes!
I can’t believe how summer seems to fly off pretty fast. The changing of season sometimes gets me excited and emotional at times. But like what they say, change would always be a constant thing in our lives. At least, I get to put on more PJs and load on carb shamelessly now that it’s almost winter. 😀
That also mean, that I get to enjoy lots of soups from now on.
Before we officially welcome the cold season, let me share with you a truly must-try soup to keep you warm – my Vegetable Beef Soup. Even the picky eaters would chow down on this.
What are the best spices for vegetable soup?
This beef soup is not one of those bland and boring soups you probably have had. It’s beefy, aromatic, savory with a kick of sweet and spiciness from my homemade creole seasoning. If you don’t have creole seasoning, you can use Italian seasonings or dried herbs like basil, oregano and thyme to go with your salt and pepper.
These are best spices so far that go well with a tomato based soup just like what we have today. But if you want to be on the creamy side, you can check out my other vegetable soup HERE.
But I find that the beefy, meaty flavor really add depth to this dish.
What’s the best cut of beef for vegetable beef soup?
The best cut of beef to use for a vegetable beef soup recipe are chuck shoulder, chuck roast, chuck-eye roast or top chuck. Unlike other cuts, these types are cheaper and when cooked for a prolong period results in a meltingly tender pieces of beef. A great alternative with less cooking time is sirloin tips; it produces the same results and saves you some time. The down side it’s a little more pricey.
Aside from stovetop, you can also cook this dish in a slow cooker. But make sure to brown your beef first as the magic happens in the pan.
Therefore, I’d say this would be one of your go-to soup as its is so filling and flavorful. The perfect definition of comfort food in a bowl. You can also pretty much throw in whatever you have on hand, in case you don’t have some of those veggies.
And it’s freezer–friendly, too! Goes well with crusty bread, corn bread or on its own.
Tips and Notes
- If you don’t have creole seasoning, Italian seasoning (you can check my homemade version HERE) works fine, but of course, there’ll be a slight difference with how it’d taste.
- You can use beef stew meat, like I did, or go with either one of these chuck shoulder, chuck roast, chuck-eye roast or top chuck.
- For a thicker and stew-like consistency, cut back the beef stock down to 2 cups.
- If cooking this on a slow cooker, don’t forget to brown the meat first before dumping it all into the slow cooker.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1- 1 1/2 pound beef stew meat , cut into about 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion , diced (about 1 1/2 cups )
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 stalks celery , diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 14-ounce (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 5-6 cups beef broth or water
- 1 medium carrot , diced (1 1/2 cups )
- 1 russet potatoes (cut in chunks)
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 Beef cube or beef bouillon tablespoon(optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef sauté stirring frequently any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until beef is brown. Drain oil if necessary.
- Add onions, garlic,ginger, thyme, oregano and saute for about 3-4 minutes until onions are wilted.
- Then add paprika, creole seasoning , celery and tomatoes.
- Pour in beef stock or water , potatoes, carrots, lima beans, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, , cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 25 – 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with bread or corn bread.
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef, sauté stirring frequently any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until beef is brown.
Drain oil if necessary.
Add onions, garlic,ginger, thyme, oregano.
And saute for about 3-4 minutes until onions are wilted.
Then add paprika, creole seasoning , celery and tomatoes
Pour in beef stock or water , potatoes, carrots, lima beans, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a boil, , cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 25 – 35 minutes. Serve warm with bread or corn bread