Caribbean Coconut Sweet Bread laden with freshly grated coconut, tropical flavors, and with cream cheese glaze.
I can’t believe the holidays are around the corner- there is no denying it. All the Christmas lights are starting to come up. So this is a great time to head off to the supermarket, dust off your mixer, polish off your baking pans and get ready for baking seasoning. Wait!
PLEASE start with this Coconut Sweet Bread. If you are a coconut lover this would rock your world. If you are not you would be a pleasant surprise.
Would you believe me when I say I have tripled my workout intensity just for this cake alone? Yep.
You should see me going up those stairs panting like a dog… but who cares?
All I am consumed with is the aroma of this bread baking- I even dream about it. Usually, I always let my son have the last piece of cake but when I make this I get to have the last one.
His crying doesn’t bother me when am in my zone. I just promise to make him chocolate cupcakes and that does it. He adores chocolate and I adore coconut.
Coconut sweet bread is a Caribbean favorite enjoyed in countries like Jamaica, Guyana, Trinidad, and Barbados.
What is so distinctive about this cake (most people call it bread) is the addition of freshly grated coconut to the batter, the aromas from the bitters, almond, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice would make your neighbors come knocking at your door.
To make this cake even sweeter, I made a cream cheese glaze to go with the cake. You don’t have too but I would highly recommend it, especially for those with a sweet tooth.
This cake is light, not too sweet- with just the right amount of sweetness, great texture for soaking up rum, syrup, and sauces, and laden with tropical flavors.
It also freezes well and is a great cake to ice or offer as a gift. This would also be perfect on those cold winter mornings with tea or coffee as a snack or dessert. Very versatile!
Watch How To Make It
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”DlwkRjfU” upload-date=”2021-09-16T07:07:26.000Z” name=”Coconut Sweet Bread” description=”Caribbean Coconut Sweet Bread laden with freshly grated coconut, tropical flavors, and with cream cheese glaze.” player-type=”collapse” override-embed=”false”]
Coconut Sweet Bread
- 1 small coconut grated 2 cups
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit I used pineapple and cherries
- 1 cup 226 grams 8 ounce butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup 4 ounce sour cream
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons angostura bitters
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond flavor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or regular milk
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 Tbs. cold whole or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lime/lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated lime
- In a small bowl combine the candied pineapple, chopped cherries, and raisins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease and line the cake tin (pan) with baking parchment
- Cream together the butter and sugar at high speed in a stand mixture until it’s fluffy and starting to look white, about 5- 7 minutes, add sour cream and mix for another minute.
- Stir in the eggs, a one at a time, beating the mixture well between each one and adding a tablespoon of the flour with the last egg to prevent the batter from curdling.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder into the batter, and then add the fruits, nutmeg, bitters, cinnamon, allspice, almond and vanilla extract, Add grated coconut .
- Stir well until everything is fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt cake and bake at 325 until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–65minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Cream cheese glaze
- Whip together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla , grated lime, lime juice and 2 tablespoons of milk until very creamy. Add more milk to get desired consistency for drizzling. Pour on cake
- Serve with tea or whipped cream