Homemade Orange Curd (Microwave) – creamy, addictive orange curd that is so easy to whip up and goes well with scones and biscuits. It’s also great as holiday gifts and better than store-bought!
They say when life gives you lemons you make lemonade but when it gives you oranges please make orange curd. I love lemon curd and during the holiday season, there are countless recipes upon recipes featuring this curd. I have bought so many jars of lemon curd to make cakes, scones, biscuits.
However, this holiday season, I decided to skip the lemon curd aisle and make my own curd but with oranges instead. There is no better time then now to whip up a batch of this creamy, addictive curd. Now, let me give you a couple of reasons:
The navel orange season has just begun, the oranges tends to have less sweetness and flavor (this recipe will heighten the flavor)
Hello! Gift-giving season is here and this would be perfect for any foodie or non-foodie person.
Just serve this to your guests with these amazing scones or biscuits and watch them go crazy!
Okay, if all of these reasons do not appeal to you then let me say, these are so easy to make in a microwave. The whisking is minimized and your arms will not fall off like the traditional stovetop method – I promise. In less than 5 minutes you are done with your curd, so you can relax and listen to some Christmas carols while it thickens even more.
This recipe is made with 3 eggs, but you can add an additional 2 egg yolks for a rich and creamy curd. I also included lime to give it an extra zesty tang.
It is always good to have this on hand for the smallest hint of a craving. Come back for my butter orange cake!
Homemade Orange Curd(Microwave) - creamy, addictive orange curd that is so easy to whip up and goes well for scones and biscuits. They are also good as Holiday gifts and better than store-bought!
- ½ cup butter 4 oz. room temperature
- ¾ -1 cup sugar depending on sweetness preference
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice about 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Butter, sugar, eggs, orange juice and zest, lime juice and zest, until smooth.
- Place in the microwave for one-minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. This should take no more than 4-5 minutes depending on your microwave. It always takes 4 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from the microwave, cover and cool then place in sealed jars or containers. Store for up to three weeks