A healthy chiller you can drink on the go, SPINACH SMOOTHIE is a sensational veggie and fruit beverage you’ll love even if you’re not a fitness enthusiast or a vegan. A cup of this wondrous vegetable is good enough as it is, but turning it into a cold quenching drink is a whole new level. Jump into a healthier lifestyle with this green smoothie diet!
I know how hard it is to have a regular 9 to 5 schedule – waking in the early mornings and working until late at night. I used to do the same tight schedule as you, and later on, I felt like every day was a drag because my energy was always low and I was irritable.
This was mainly because of the lack of nutrients in my body. Luckily, I tried this veggie smoothie recipe, and let me tell you, I literally felt like a human dynamo! My energy levels became better, and I became generally happier. So I want to show you my own version of happiness in a cup to highlight the young and beautiful you.
Are Spinach Smoothies Healthy?
I tried to drink it every day as part of my green smoothie diet, and the benefits were outstanding. Popeye may have made it into an iconic veggie by showing us all the great benefits of eating spinach, but how much of it is actually true?
Spinach is actually a great source of Vitamin K, which helps maintain bone health. Another great benefit of this green is its rich source of Vitamin C to boost the immune system.
Beta carotene is also present in this leafy green. It helps strengthen the eyesight. The good thing about this green smoothie is that it’s in liquid form, which is easier for the body to absorb.
This leafy green is also great for your heart health that, in turn, will make you feel more boosted. The presence of lutein promotes the strengthening of the walls of the arteries. With good heart health comes a lot of great benefits. It can pump up your energy and can visually make you glow.
This version of green smoothie uses a lot of nutrient-dense ingredients. This means that the whole green drink will be low in calories but rich in nutrients. The blend of flavors with the mild taste of spinach will make you want to go into this green smoothie diet.
- Coconut Water – the water from the coconut contains lots of minerals useful for maintaining hydration and proper electrolyte levels. This tasty juice will serve as the volume base for our green drink.
- Pineapple Chunks – these sweet bits are a natural source of fructose, so we would need not have to add any acritical flavoring.
- Banana – This ingredient is also a berry, which is a great source of fructose as well. It will help our drink to have an even and thick consistency.
- Ice Cubes – in general, smoothies are supposed to be served cold. But did you know that lowering the temperature of a mixture calms the flavors down? Adding ice cubes to this drink recipe not only makes it refreshing but also highlights the flavors in this smoothie.
- Spinach – this is the ingredient of the hour. Although this drink is packed with spinach benefits, take note that this smoothie doesn’t taste much spinach at all due to the addition of other flavorful fruits like pineapple and banana.
How To Make Spinach a Smoothie
- Prepare the Fruit – Peel and chop the pineapple and bananas. (Photos 1-2)
- Add Spinach – Add spinach and ice cubes. Pour in coconut water and blend until smooth. If your smoothie is too thick, add more coconut water as needed and pulse to dilute until desired consistency has been reached.
- Serve – Pour smoothie into glasses and garnish with fresh pineapple, if desired. Enjoy!
- Spinach smoothie already has a wonderful lush flavor, and you can add more nutritious ingredients to boost your veggie smoothie to a higher flavorful level. Here are some of my recommendations that would perfectly fit your homemade vegetable smoothie:
- Try replacing the pineapple with mango slices to smoothly blend all the ingredients together. The result will yield a sweet, silky green smoothie.
- If you look at our ingredients, you’ll see that we already have two berries in, so why not add one more. Boost the flavors by adding the right amounts of strawberries into it. It perfectly adds a fruity flavor while keeping the authentic spinach taste.
- Make your green smoothie greener by mixing in a good amount of avocado. Adding this superfruit not only adds a good chunk of nutrients to your drink it also helps give a smoother and light texture to the whole mixture.
Tips and Tricks
- When dealing with leafy greens or green drinks, you need to make sure that you thoroughly wash your greens and make sure that it’s okay to eat. After doing this you can now proceed with making your Spinach Smoothie.
- When you start blending, the mixture will be a little thick. This is the part where we slowly add coconut water to dilute the whole mixture so that your spinach smoothie would be more liquid and drinkable.
- Be careful not to add too much coconut water too fast. Keep an eye on the consistency of your drink and just add the right amount of liquid into it. Pour your green smoothie mixture into a glass and to finish, garnish with a slice of pineapple, and VOILA! A healthy cup of on-the-go drink.
More Healthy Drinks to Explore
Aside from this wholesome green drink recipe, you can also check out these other refreshing and healthy drinks that we have on the blog.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- How to Make Lemonade (3 Ways)
- Homemade Ginger Juice
- Homemade Pineapple Juice
- Sorrel Drink
Watch How to Make It
This blog post was originally published in July 2020 and has been updated with additional tips, new photos, and a video.
- 2 cups pineapple, fresh or frozen cut into chunks
- ½ banana
- 4 cups spinach
- ½ cup ice cubes
- ¾ cup coconut water
- Place the pineapple chunks, banana, and spinach in a blender. Add ice cubes.
- Pour in coconut water and blend until smooth. If your smoothie is too thick, add more coconut water as needed and pulse to dilute until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Pour the smoothies into glasses and garnish them with fresh pineapple if desired. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes:
- You can pour the spinach smoothie into ice cube trays and freeze it until solid. Then transfer them to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Just grab a few whenever you’d want to enjoy a smoothie.
- Feel free to replace spinach with other greens like kale, Romaine lettuce, or arugula.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.