Crispy and tender Chicken thigh with mushroom, onion and garlic sauce – ready in under 30 minutes.
Dark meat is a favorite in many cuisines and particular a favorite of mine. It’s immense popularity and fabulous taste is often matched by its ease of preparation. In my culture, it is preferred over white meat.
A huge drawback for me, it’s the amount of time it takes to get ready. Usually between 40- 45 minutes. Grrrr…
How is that for a wait, when your stomach is rumbling? Coupled with the repeated echoes ” is dinner ready?” Coming from the living room …Welcome to my life!
This Chicken Thigh with Mushroom Garlic Sauce comes in really handy, because you can have a simple yet elegant meal on the table in less than no time. Thanks to Jacque Pepin technique and recipe which I spiced things up, to suit my taste buds- added thyme, Cajun salt, and threw in some evaporated milk and it hit the spot- Délicieux et Magnifique!
It involves two simple processes, pan-frying the chicken in a non-stick pan, tightly covered for about 16-18 minutes and the end result …a crispy crust and tender chicken. Incroyable
Don’t sweat it; you do not have to worry about oil. The Chicken produces it’s own oil and you even have left over.
The next step is making the sauce-, which is easy – assuming you have all your ingredients, ready to go.
What am going to say is that ,this sauce is pretty good- pair it with rice and you would shove the chicken aside and just eat the rice and mushroom and onion sauce.
Watch How To Make It
Chicken in Mushroom Onion and Garlic Sauce
- Preheat oven to 175F.
- Trim chicken of any visible fat. Make a 1/2 " slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken
- Season the 4 chicken thighs on both sides -with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on a non-stick skillet or cast iron with a lid, on high heat.
- As soon as the chicken starts to sizzle, cover and reduce the heat down to medium - move the thighs around to make sure they aren't sticking to the skillet. Let it cook for about 16-18 minutes.
- Prep ingredients – chop onions, chop mushrooms and mince garlic, thyme.
- Make sure you check the chicken after 10 minutes. If it browning too fast reduce heat even further, until chicken is cooked. Transfer the thighs to a warm oven.
- Pour out all of the chicken fat except for about 2 tablespoons.
- Turn the heat to high and then add the onion, garlic, thyme and mushrooms. Sauté, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add Cajun salt, and then pour in the chicken stock and milk. Continue to cook for 2-3 minute over high heat until the sauce reduces. Adjust seasonings with salt and stock
- Sprinkle on some parsley and serve with rice or any side dish.