Brown Spinach Rice aka Check Rice – A healthy African way of cooking rice spiced up with curry powder, garlic and smoked paprika. Vegan
I started off wanting to make chuck rice or check rice and decided to throw in a few more spices, to make a recipe that can stand on its own. Chuck or Check rice is a Liberian way of cooking rice – think Mexican green rice.
If you want to make traditional chuck rice omit all the spices and go with the spinach, okra and salt. If you want a really flavorful, green rice side dish spiced up. Then go all the way and just dump everything in. Why stop half way?
Traditionally chuck rice is usually made with jute leaves to give the rice a slimy consistency. But not everyone uses jute leaves or can find it. Most people replace it with spinach and okra.
However, here, I did not use okra just went with the spinach because my son does not care for anything slimy.
I tried to make this rice even healthier by replacing white rice with brown rice. As mentioned in another post, hubby brought home 25 pounds of brown rice and I have got to use it up. I think he likes this because I have made it a couple of times now and no complaints. Like it or not, I would be making more this Brown Spinach Rice.
This rice consists of parsley, garlic, onions, paprika with a jolt from curry powder and a kick from cayenne pepper.
Watch How to Make It
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”AAGGC6A2″ upload-date=”Mon Aug 06 2018 20:14:42 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)” name=”Brown Spinach Rice aka Check Rice” description=”Brown Spinach Rice aka Check Rice- A healthy African way of cooking rice spiced up with cayenne pepper, garlic and paprika.”]
Brown Spinach Rice (Check Rice)
- In a food processor blend spinach and parsley. Set aside
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Drain water.
- Heat a saucepan with oil. Then add onions, garlic, paprika, curry, scotch bonnet pepper (optional), and sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in rice to the pan, about 2 minutes, then add 4 cups of stock/water, bring to a boil reduce heat, and simmer until rice is almost cooked- about 15 -18 minutes into cooking.
- Then add spinach and parsley mixture. Combine and mix thoroughly.
- Continue cooking, for a few more minutes until rice is completely cooked. You may add more stock if needed.
- Adjust for salt and pepper. Serve warm