Crab Stuffed Mushrooms – rich, cheesy, insanely addictive stuffed mushrooms with buttery cajun-seasoned crab meat, and crispy Panko breadcrumbs topping. Makes a great appetizer for game days, special gatherings, parties or as snacks on family movie nights.
I’ve been wanting to share a crab meat dish on the blog but just couldn’t seem to squeeze it in.
This game day season is the perfect timing to post this addictive appetizer on the blog.
While most of us are so engrossed with the adrenaline pumping live action, some of us are all there for the food (**coughs**). ‘Cause let’s all agree, game days are quite boring without all the beer and food (Sloppy Joes, Salmon Croquettes, and Hush Puppies – my game day fave food).
And since I have 6 ounce of crab meat sitting in my fridge and a local market selling fresh mushrooms for a great deal, I decided to recreate this fun Crab Stuffed Mushrooms. If you’re not a huge mushroom fan, wait till you have a bite of this. This would absolutely make you a convert.
Cleaning mushrooms might be a little intimidating for starters.
Since mushrooms grow low in the ground, you need to thoroughly clean them before adding them to any dishes. Eating a spec of dirt from a mushroom could lead to disaster. I don’t want that to happen to you, my peeps.
So first off, don’t keep the mushrooms in the plastic that you buy them in. Instead, transfer them to a paper bag or slightly open zip lock to let out the moisture, or else they’ll go bad easily. Contrary to what others would say, you can actually lightly rinse the mushrooms with cool water and pat dry them after. However, DO NOT soak them as they absorb water.
Please check this link for a complete guide on how to clean mushrooms especially for stuffing.
Now you know how to prepare the mushrooms, let’s talk about its filling.
Crab meat and bread crumbs make up a simple yet satisfying stuffing. You’ll love its buttery, cheesy flavor with a kiss of heat and a wonderful layer of texture. Aside from the juicy sweet crab meat, this filling also has diced red peppers, onions and celery sticks for a little crunch.
For this recipe, you’ll love how each spice and seasoning falls into place. It’s slightly sweet, cheesy and with a little pop of heat. It’s topped with sauteed crispy crunchy Panko breadcrumbs for a total package. You see how rich this recipe is with flavors and textures???
You’ll get hooked with this bite after bite. EVERYONE seems to want the last piece.
The filling can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerate until you are ready to stuff the mushrooms or when your guests arrive.
So the next time you pass up for mushrooms, think about each lovely bite you’ll be missing from this insanely addictive Crab Stuffed Mushrooms. And oh, it’s a low carb dish, too – a tasty diet food, friends.
Tips and Notes:
- Aside from button mushrooms, you can always use portobello mushrooms or cremini for a deeper flavor.
- Gouda is a Dutch cheese that has a mild, slightly sweet and nutty flavor made traditionally with pasteurized cow’s milk or goat’s and sheep’s milk. A good substitute would be Edam, Muenster or Monterey Jack cheese. Gouda can be bought at local well-stocked cheese shops or even at Trader Joe’s and Whole Food’s Market.
- You can also thrown in extra goodness to the filling like finely chopped cooked bacon, deviened and cooked shrimps. minced ham or sausage.
- Do not overcook them or they’ll get soggy.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 ounce (340.19 g) button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup (50 g) panko breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons (28.35-42.53 g) butter (divided)
- 1 green onion , diced
- ¼ cup (40 g) diced onion
- 2 tablespoons (7.60 g) fresh parsley finely , chopped
- ¼ cup (55 g) diced celery sticks
- ¼ cup (45 g) diced red pepper
- ½ – 1 teaspoon (1.3-2.6 g) cajun seasoning
- 6 ounce (170 g) crab meat
- 2 ounce (55 g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (50 g) grated gouda cheese (see notes for substititution)
- Salt to taste
- Wipe clean or wash mushrooms, pop the stems off of the caps. Drizzle with oil and salt and pepper.
- Place mushroom caps on lined baking sheets- I used parchment paper; set aside.
- Place small skillet on medium heat , then toss in minced garlic, stir for about 30 seconds throw in bread crumbs, saute for about 4-5 minutes or until fragrant and slightly brown.
- Transfer breadcrumb mixture to a medium bowl , let it cool to room temperature. Wipe clean pan.
- Add butter to pan, then add onions, green onions, celery sticks, red pepper, creole cajun seasoning and crab meat, then saute for about 3-5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Once cooled, add the cream cheese, mix ¼ cup of the breadcrumbs and grated in the cheese.
- Gently fold in all the ingredients until it’s thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasonings with salt.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps.
- Top the filled mushrooms with the rest of the breadcrumbs topping and place in the oven to bake.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the tops of the mushrooms are golden brown.
Tips & Notes:
How Do You Make Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Wipe clean or wash mushrooms, pop the stems off of the caps. Drizzle with oil and salt and pepper. Place mushroom caps on lined baking sheets – I used parchment paper. Set aside.
Place small skillet on medium heat, then toss in minced garlic, stir for about 30 seconds and throw in bread crumbs, then saute for about 4-5 minutes or until fragrant and slightly brown.
Transfer breadcrumb mixture to a medium bowl , let it cool to room temperature. Wipe clean pan. Add butter to pan, then add onions, green onions, celery sticks, red pepper.
Then add creole cajun seasoning and crab meat, saute for about 3-5 minutes. Let it cool.
Once cooled, add the cream cheese, mix ¼ cup of the breadcrumbs and grated in the cheese.
Gently fold in all the ingredients until it’s thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasonings with salt.
Spoon mixture into mushroom caps.
Top the filled mushrooms with the rest of the breadcrumbs topping and place in the oven to bake. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops of the mushrooms are golden brown