Shrimp po’ boy sandwich- Crispy, crunchy shrimp piled mile high on a buttered toasted french roll, stuffed with crunchy cabbage, fresh tomatoes – drizzled with a lip smacking remoulade sauce. Crazy delicious!!!!
Shrimp po’ boys are by far the most quintessential sandwiches in New Orleans cuisine – hands down. It was one of my favorites, during my pregnancy and I ate it shamelessly – no guilt AT ALL. I long for those days…
But it ain’t happening now.
This po boy sandwich is made with battered shrimp, served on toasted garlic french roll filled with crispy cabbage or lettuce, fresh tomatoes and to make it irresistible, a creamy remoulade tops all the goodness inside.
I’m telling you, it can’t get better than this!
For those who don’t know, remoulade is a mayonnaise based condiment with a mildly sweet, sour taste making it the ideal pairing for seafood. Along with mayo, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce (the three base ingredients), Cajun seasonings are added for spice and depth.
All you have to do is prepare the remoulade, chill it in the fridge, shred some cabbage, fry the shrimp and put everything together. Upon biting into that soft, lightly toasted bread your taste buds are greeted by the deliciousness with gentle heat from the remoulade. This is soon followed by the flavorful shrimp and crispness of the cabbage which rounds out the flavors to create the perfect bite every time.
On top of the many flavors and nuances these shrimp po’ boys offer, the temperature variation makes them even better.
Who can resist warm toasted bread, shrimp straight out of the fryer, with creamy remoulade sauce all over it?
You sure can’t! Believe me I have tried.
A good alternative for those who hate frying is to use blackened shrimp instead. They both taste delicious.
Now go make your self some and be sure to invite a few people over, they are going to love you for life. Well… maybe not, but they will definitely enjoy it.
- Don’t overload the pan when frying the shrimp – a lot of shrimp all at once can crowd the pan and lower the temperature drastically and allow oil to seep into the food. Fry in batches.
- Once you remove the shrimp out of the fryer, place them on a metal cooling rack above a sheet pan. A cooling rack allows fried foods to drain and help them stay crisp, too.
- 1 1/2 pound Large shrimp peeled deveined
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 -1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 3/4 -1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Large egg
- 3-4 Hoagie or French rolls
- 2 cups sliced cabbage or shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce adjust to taste
- 2 Tablespoons relish
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning optional
- salt to taste
- 3-4 French or Hoagie Roll
- 2. -3 Tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic clove crushed
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F or In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil - half way .
- In a large bowl mix together, cornmeal, flour, garlic , garlic & onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Mix buttermilk and eggs . Set aside
- Dip shrimp in buttermilk mixture and lightly deep into the flour mixture.
- Then fry the shrimp in the fryer or saucepan a few at at a time. Fry until slightly brown and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes or more depending on the size. These big chunks took about 6 minutes per side.
- Remove from the fryer with a slotted spoon place on a cookie rack to ensure crispness.. Repeat with the remaining shrimp
- In a serving bowl combine, lemon juice from squeezed lemon, mayonnaise, garlic, pepper relish, green onions, mustard ,hot sauce ,Worcestershire sauce, creole salt and pepper Cover with plastic wrap and let the flavors mellow in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Place bread in the Oven and lightly toast.
- While bread is toasting, combine crushed garlic, and butter , then microwave in a safe dish for about 1 minute .
- Remove and spread on toasted garlic .
- Proceed with assembling the sandwich.