This crispy, tasty, and super-easy comfort food gives you a healthier take on this classic cornmeal treat. A hassle-free version of the southern favorite made instantly without giving you those few extra pounds. Now you can enjoy a guilt-free snack or side without compromising the taste and sensation!
My new year’s resolution for this year, or for every year rather, is to have a healthier lifestyle. However, my cravings for crunchy and tasty treats are too strong!
Luckily, this recipe avoids a big chunk of the unhealthy stuff so I can eat as much as I want!
Owning an Air Fryer is totally a win for me as a home cook! Mainly because it saves a lot of time especially for all-around moms like me. So if you’re wondering what’s next on my Air Fryer list, here it is – one of my favorite southern favorite snacks/sides/appetizers. And I’m loving every bit of these bite-sized guilt-free treats.
Air Fryer Hush Puppies
Compared to the traditional way of making this treat (See my regular Hush Puppies HERE), our air-fried version feels a bit different. The texture as a whole is a lot denser and moister because we won’t be using any oil.
This means that there won’t be anything to penetrate the dish to cook the insides simultaneously. Don’t worry it still has that iconic crunch!
Since we won’t be using oil (just a little spray of oil here and there) for this recipe, you can expect that it would be a lot healthier. I recommend using this recipe for everyone who wants to live a healthier lifestyle. It’s also a convenient snack so you can eat it anywhere on-the-go!
We’ll remain faithful to the original recipe by using the same ingredients as the classic recipe. Luckily, everything you’ll need is super simple. These might already be in your pantry. Here’s everything you’ll need for making these quick treats.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Garlic powder
- Buttermilk (see my homemade alternatives HERE)
- Large eggs
- Unsalted butter
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped or grated onion
If you’re not familiar with what air fryer hush puppies are, you might think that it tastes like regular fritters. Looking at the ingredients above, I can assure you that it’s far from the plain taste you might be imagining. To give you an idea, it’s a light blend of savory and sweet flavors that come together harmoniously.
I know that you might find this recipe a bit plain tasting. This is because I want to show you how the classic flavors would taste when it’s cooked in an air fryer. Here are some ideas on how to give your air fryer hush puppies your own twist!
Putting beer in the dish will increase the liquid content in the batter which can make the mixture looser. I suggest adding just enough so that your batter remains thick and firm. It actually affects the crispiness more than the flavor.
Chopping bits of jalapenos and mixing them in the batter adds a kick of spice to our final product. Every bite gives you a spicy flavor you’ll definitely enjoy that goes great with flavorful dips.
Okra or Corn Kernels
As someone who really loves okra and corn, this is one of my favorite versions of this recipe. It is a great way to add fresh veggies into the mix especially for people who try to avoid them. They’ll never know what’s on the inside.
Loose vs Thick Batter in Air Fryer
All of you air fryer aficionados know the rule that you shouldn’t put the batter in the appliance. This is because the heated air in the basket will cause the batter to splatter all around creating a mess.
However, this doesn’t apply to all batters. Only loose batters such as pancake or crepe make big messes.
These are mixtures that are generally liquid or runny. Thick or solid batters such as for this recipe will cook great in an air fryer.
Tip: To easily distinguish which is which, remember that thick batters are scooped while loose batters are ladled.
Since this is a healthier version of hush puppies, we can play around with dips and sauces we can pair it with. Firstly, we should consider the general taste of the dish and how we’re going to serve it. Here are my top picks on what goes well with these fritters.
- Homemade BBQ Sauce for an exciting appetizer with a kick of heat!
- If you really want heat for your air fryer hush puppies, you can try this African Pepper Sauce.
- A milder and more fruity pairing for these would be this Caribbean Pepper Sauce
- Complete the taste of the south with a super easy mixture of Remoulade Sauce
- Or pair this treat with another crowd-pleasing favorite Beer Cheese Dip!
Can You Freeze Them?
Regular deep-fried hush puppies will freeze well for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply, microwave in high heat for about 1 minute and it’ll be good to go. It is also good to know that there is a little chance for these treats to be soggy because it isn’t drenched in oil.
Making the dish in advance is also super easy. The firm thick batter also refrigerates well. Just make sure to wrap it in cling wrap while making sure that it wouldn’t be exposed to any air.
More Delicious Southern Recipes to Try
How to Make Air Fryer Hush Puppies
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and garlic powder. In another bowl, whisk in buttermilk, and lightly beaten eggs until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until fully incorporated, then add grated onions and butter. Preheat the Air Fryer – I preheat mine at 400 Degrees/ 204 degrees C for 5 minutes when ready to air fry. Lightly grease the metal basket with cooking spray and arrange hush puppies in a single layer without touching each other. Set your Air Fryer to 380°F, for 4-5 minutes. Flip over carefully and cook on the other side for an additional 4 minutes, or until cooked through and hush puppy is crispy. Serve with this fried fish or remoulade sauce.
Watch How To Make It
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”ksoWjd0Z” upload-date=”2021-02-17T08:00:00.000Z” name=”Air Fryer Hush Puppies” description=”This crispy, tasty, and super-easy comfort food gives you a healthier take on this classic cornmeal treat. A hassle-free version of the southern favorite made instantly without giving you those few extra pounds. Now you can enjoy a guilt-free snack or side without compromising the taste and sensation!” player-type=”collapse” override-embed=”false”]
Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (120 grams) cornmeal
- ½ tablespoon (6 grams) baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (8grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped or grated onion
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and garlic powder
- In another bowl, whisk in buttermilk, and lightly beaten eggs until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until fully incorporated, then add grated onions and butter.
- Preheat the Air Fryer - I preheat mine at 400 Degrees/ 204 degrees C for 5 minutes when ready to air fry.
- Lightly grease the metal basket with cooking spray and arrange hush puppies in a single layer without touching each other.
- Set your Air Fryer to 380°F, for 4-5 minutes. Flip over carefully and cook on the other side for an additional 4 minutes, or until cooked through and hush puppy is crispy.
Tips & Notes:
- See my regular Hush Puppies HERE.
- You may add beer, jalapeno, okra, or corn kernels into the batter.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.