Roast Jerk Plantains- These “Good Guys” here, will sure get you excited about plantains, whether you are a fan or still iffy about plantains. They are healthy – baked not fried, sweet, spicy and a tropical delight. Topped with onions and bell pepper and you have yourself a vegan meal or side if you prefer.
Sometimes you think you know exactly what you want when you head to the kitchen, then again, along the way, something changes in a split second. And then you know exactly what you want. Am I making any sense to you?
Anyways, that’s what happened here, with these plantains. I wanted to make some simple roasted plantains, knew exactly what I wanted and things changed.
As soon as I saw this jerk seasoning on the counter. Jerk plantains is what am having. And it has been a favorite for a while now.
I bet you have tried plantains in a number of ways but have never tried it with jerk seasoning right?
I contemplated for a while what to call these; Jerk plantains? Spicy plantains with bell pepper and onions? Roast plantains? Decisions decisions — what’s a girl to do?
Try pairing it up with these chicken wings right here and you will be dancing like James Brown.
Roast Jerk Plantains
- 2-3 Plantains
- Jerk Seasoning adjust according to preference
- Oil for drizzling
Stir Fried Onions and Bell pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ medium onion
- 1 Bell pepper green or red
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains.
- Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain; peel only as deep as the peel.
- Remove plantain peel by pulling it back. If plantains are straight from the fridge, you can run it through hot water, to facilitate peeling
- Cut in half cross way, then cut in half length ways and cut further into desired uniform strips.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and place the plantains in a single layer.
- Bake in a 425-degree oven for minutes for 20 minutes or until slightly brown, turning once
- Add sliced onion in hot oil in a skillet for about one minute.
- Then add strips of bell pepper