Fry Jacks- a popular Belizean breakfast bread that can be whipped up in less than 30 mins. It sure hits the spot.
Have you heard about Yummly? Well, if you are a foodie and have not tried it out then you are missing out. Okay, don’t feel bad about it, I just recently started paying close attention and using it as a recipe search database. So far I love it!
Yummly has these unique search filters that allows anyone to look for recipes by cuisine, diet, nutrition, allergy, cook time, technique and even more. The good thing is it has over 1 million recipes and counting.
I have made it super easy for you guys to yum my recipes by adding a plug-in with a yum button. If you see a recipe that you like just click the yum button and you have it saved, ready when you want it.
Now don’t be shy about yumming my recipes, especially this one right here.
Now let’s talk about these Fry Jack’s right here, because it is a must-try for a weekend breakfast. Make it a week day breakfast – who cares?
Weekends to me are all about breakfast – I think they should be a thing of beauty – stackable, delectable, calorie laden gut buster of a meal. This one is all of those things and more. Why hold back when you are in the hole already?
Go the whole nine yards with fried beans, butter, cheese, fried eggs and honey.
Hey, did I say this was a healthy breakfast?
Okay, maybe instead of those fattening, calorie buster stuff…how about some strawberries, fresh seasoned tomatoes and honey. You get to eat your fruits and vegetables too! Now don’t say I’m not looking out for you- cause I am.
You know Fry Jacks are a Caribbean favorite, especially in Belize. I first fell in love with it when my Belizean friend made it for me and that was it, no turning back. I crave these Fry Jacks every now and then.
You know the bad thing about these…or maybe I should say good thing – it comes together fairly quickly. Guys, within 30 minutes these bad guys are ready.
I’ve been trying not to scare you with my fried food obsession, so I spaced it out for you, would really love for you to stick around because I have plenty more to share.
Fry jacks- a popular Belizean breakfast bread that can be whipped up in less than 30 mins. It sure hits the spot.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ - 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons shortening/butter
- 1- tablespoon sugar optional
- ¾ cup whole milk or canned coconut milk
- Oil for deep-frying
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add shortening.
- Then make a well then add milk, knead dough for about 30 seconds to 1 minute to form soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6-7 equal pieces. Set aside for about 10 mins.
- Place each one piece on a heavily floured board and roll out dough into a circle. They do not have to be perfect circles.
- Divide the circles in half and then place a slit on dough.
- In a large, saucepan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 3 inches and place on medium heat until oil is 350 degrees.
- Fry until golden brown about 3-5 minutes depending on size. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper napkin. Let it cool
- Serve warm with honey, butter, cheese and refried beans.