Couscous Mango Corn Salad- Light, Refreshing, Satisfying and Easy on the Eyes – Oui– Non?
This is a particularly pleasing accompaniment to any meal- Mango, avocado and couscous provide and exotic flavor combination that you just going to love.
Look at it this way; it is a great alternative and refreshing break from the winter calorie laden meals, some of which am guilty of making.
After making this Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken here there was some leftover couscous and decided to make some couscous salad out of it and simply enjoyed it. Of course am going to love it – It incorporates two of summer’s biggest produce corn and mango- which are a favorite of mine, and they both add some sweetness to this salad, and make it more palate pleasing.
You can use either Israel couscous or Moroccan couscous they both work interchangeably in this salad. Israeli couscous, aka pearl couscous, is somewhat similar to regular couscous -it’s small, whole grain- like food made from semolina or wheat flour.
Just cook according to package instructions – immediately rinse to stop the cooking. Or what works for me is this- I soak in hot water for 10 minutes and it is ready to go. No cooking involved.
For the corn you can use regular canned corn or grill corn.This is very versatile salad because you can add or remove any ingredient that does not rock your boat.
Couscous Mango Corn Salad
- 2 cups steamed couscous
- 1 large mango diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1-2 tomato diced
- 2 ears fresh corn or 1 cup corn
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- ¼ cup diced sweet onions
- ¼ cup fresh herbs mint, parley
- 1/2 cup feta cheese optional
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Vinegar any variety
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt pepper, herbs in a blender or screw top jar and shake or process until well blended.
- If grilling corn ,preheat stovetop grill pan or an outdoor grill. You may lightly spray corn with cooking spray or brush with butter.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, until charred or brown about 7 - 10 minutes; remove from heat and let it cool. Slice off kernels with a knife and place in a bowl.
- Boil Couscous according to package instructions and immediately rinsed set aside
- Combine corn , couscous, mango, tomatoes , mint, cucumber and avocado. Or arrange on a platter . top with cheese and/or dressing on the side
Tips & Notes:
- You can use either Israel couscous or Moroccan couscous they both work interchangeably in this salad.
- You can use regular canned corn or grill corn.This is very versatile salad because you can add or remove any ingredient that does not rock your boat.