Jamaican Chicken Patties – Forget about the store-bought patties- this tastes 10x BETTER…AND comes together quickly with a SUPER EASY dough .Make it, grab a few fresh off the oven, relax and let the taste guide you to the Islands- Jamaican Island to be precise.
Is there anything more irresistible than meat stuffed in pastry dough? I don’t know about you, but I just can’t seem to get out of a Caribbean market without grabbing a couple of these. I refuse to even take a glance at them, when am checking out groceries at the registry- because once we lock eyes that’s it. I have to get them.
Making your own pastry dough can be time consuming and most people are intimated by it, but it doesn’t have to be. Trust me, if you have a food processor it is a breeze and without one, you only have to sacrifice a few more minutes with this recipe. The filling comes together fairly quickly too. Believe me, homemade always taste better, you adjust the spices to suit your taste buds.
What sets Jamaican patty apart order than their spicy interior filling, is their distinctive yellowish color due to the addition of turmeric.
Turmeric gives off a mild fragrance slightly suggestive of orange and ginger and it is used to make other spices especially curry powder. So if you do not have turmeric, you may replace it with mild curry powder or leave it off.
You know what is great about these Jamaican Chicken patties, is that they can be made weeks ahead and frozen till day of event. Place them on a cookie sheet – single layer, freeze for about an hour then remove and place in zip lock bag or storage container. These would be great when entertaining.
Jamaican Chicken Patties
Jamaican Patty Crust
- 4 cups 500grams all purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 - 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 ounce 145gram Shortening
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar. optional
- 1 cup 250 ml iced water
- 5 ounce 140gram butter
Jamaican Chicken Filling
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice powder
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt or more adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper chopped optional
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder optional replace with salt
Jamaican Chicken Crust
- In a food processor or by hand, mix together, flour, salt, sugar, turmeric blend well Add the butter, shortening, followed by vinegar and water in small amounts, pulse until combined and dough holds together in a ball.
- Place the dough on a well -floured surface. Divide it into 2 and roll it out. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until ready to use
- Using a large mouth, glass or bowl about 4 - 5 " cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the meat pie dough. Continue cutting out dough until all dough has been cut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
Jamaican Chicken Filling
- Add 2 tablespoon of oil to a saucepan, followed by onions, garlic, paprika, thyme curry, chili powder, white pepper, all spice and chicken bouillon .Let it simmer for about 2 minutes,
- Then, add ground meat, breadcrumbs and continue cooking for about 10 or more minutes. Stirring frequently to prevent burning, add about ½ cup of water.
- Finally add green onions and parsley, adjust for salt and pepper seasoning.
- Remove from stovetop and let it cool.
Assembling Jamaican Chicken Patties
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of filling into each circle, and brush with egg white or white around half of the circle. Fold over twist with fingers gently to seal the edges of the patties.
- Another way of sealing is by pressing the tines of a fork along the edges of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully place each patty on a baking sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes, depending on the size or until the edges are golden brown.
- You may freeze to bake later.
- Best served warm.