Jamaican Curry Goat – insanely delicious slow-cooked Jamaican Spiced Curry that is full of flavor and tender to the bone! An absolutely must-make Jamaican food! So easy to make with minimal prep. If you ask anyone who loves Jamaican food to pick his or her favorite, this Curry Goat would no doubt make an appearance on the list. Although goat meat has become increasingly popular in the United States due to the influx of different cultures, it isn’t celebrated nearly enough as it should. Most people shy away from it. Not a good thing. In fact, did you know it is the most consumed meat throughout the universe? Its health benefits are staggering when compared to other kinds of beef, including chicken. It has less saturated fat, calories, and cholesterol. But what gets me most about goat meat is not its benefits, the flavor is quite appealing, cooked properly the meat is succulent tender and rich. You can purchase goat meat at most International Markets –halal markets, or from Mexican and Latin American butchers. Goat meat is comparable to beef shanks or briskets. So feel free to swap the goat meat for these cuts of meat. This Jamaican Curry Goat is one of my favorite Jamaican dishes — never seem to get enough off of it. Chunky pieces of goat are slowly simmered in aromatic blend garlic, ginger, thyme, onions, and hot pepper and with curry taking center stage, until thick and creamy or however, you like it. For amazing results try making your own curry powder with this blend here. Use less with this blend because it’s homemade and packs a whole lot of spice in it. No fillers. I like it thick and creamy but have to adjust sometimes for family. In fact, it would be a crime not to savor this curry at least once in your lifetime. Oh, be sure to serve it with this Caribbean beans and rice right here. You will be happy you did. Enjoy!!!
Watch How to Make It
Jamaican Curry Goat – insanely delicious slow cooked Jamaican Spiced Curry that is full of flavour and tender to the bone! An absolutely must-make Jamaican food! So easy to make with minimal prep.
- 3- 3 1/2 pounds goat meat (cut in chunks)
- ¼- ½ cup cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 4-5 Tablespoons Curry powder
- 1- teaspoon white pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (adjust to suit taste buds or replace with any hot pepper)
- 1 tablespoon Bouillon powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Season goat with, salt and pepper. Set aside
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the goat meat sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until goat is brown.
Then add curry, stir for about 1-2 minutes.
Add the garlic, white pepper, onions,thyme, tomato paste, scallions (green onions) and scotch bonnet pepper stir for about a minute.
- Then pour in just enough water to cover the goat and bring to a boil and let it simmer until tender (depending on the goat size and preference) about 2 hours or more, stirring the saucepan occasionally and adding more water as needed..
- About 15-20 minutes before you remove from the stove add potatoes and bouillon powder. Continue cooking until potatoes are tender, if you want really thick curry goat let the potatoes cook even more .
- You may adjust thickness of soup with water or stock.