Slow Cooker Oxtail Soup – a hearty stew with rich broth and succulent tender meat that’s comforting and perfect anytime of the year Cold and warm season.
Who says soups are only good during winter ? I don’t know about you but anything that is hearty , and elicits mouthwatering, lip smacking gelatinous flavours count me in. I can’t wait for a certain time of the year to indulge. Sorry, when it comes to food, patience is not one of strong suits.
I have had tons of request for a slow cooker oxtail soup/stew and since YOU my lovely readers have a space in this lady’s heart, I’m granting your request while I also satisfy my oxtail craving. Win Win Right?
Slow cooking is THE absolutely best way of cooking oxtail. AND you are not going to get all sweaty from hours of cooking . You know why?
Slow cooker doesn’t heat up the house as much as a stove or oven would. .
If you’ve never tried oxtail before then you are seriously missing out .YES. The cow’s tail is full of bones and connective tissues that when cooked for hours give off that rich, Luscious , soupy flavor.
And don’t forget the bones, you really want to nibble down the bones and enjoy every flavor there is! No worries , I don’t judge .
This Oxtail Soup is seriously packed with flavor; with a tasty broth mixture along with variety of herbs and seasonings. The combination of beef broth and the tomato paste makes a flavorful and savory combination for this often neglected main dish. If they only knew ! Well, I rather have it this way, if not the price would go through the roof. I don’t know if you’ve notice but oxtail prices have been creeping up lately.
I digress. Back to this oxtail soup , like most of my stew recipes, I preferred to brown the oxtail first on the stove rather than throwing everything in the slow cooker . The extra 10 minutes is of the oxtail caramelized surface will lend rich flavor to the finished dish
Oh, don’t forget to serve with a loaf of bread , preferably baguette . You definitely going to need it to soak up the soup.
- If you can get oxtails that well trimmed , if not remove as much visible fat as you can before cooking it.
- Oxtail soups turn to be too oily for some folks , so towards the end of the cooking process use a spoon to spoon off any extra fat at the top of the dish.
- Also another way is to cook the dish a day ahead , refrigerate and remove visible fat at the top.
- 1-2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 - 3 pounds oxtail cut up medium pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ketchup /tomato paste
- 1 Whole Scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 green onions chopped
- 5-6 Whole pimento seeds (allspice),
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1- teaspoon curry or more adjust to preference
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 Tablespoon bouillon powder or cube (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 15 oz Cannellini Beans , drained, rinsed
- 2 Large potatoes, cut into chunks
Season oxtail with salt and pepper. Set aside
In a large cast iron or sauce pan heat oil (about 2-3 Tablespoons) over medium heat, until hot. If using a cast iron , only use about a Tablespoon of oil.
Add the oxtail sauté stirring frequently any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until oxtail is brown. Drain oil if necessary (leave about 1-2 tablespoons)
Add onions, green onions, garlic, thyme, all spice, Worcestershire, smoked paprika and stir for about a minute. Throw in scotch bonnet pepper, tomato paste, bouillon, curry powder and stir for another minute.
Then add to crockpot/slow cooker, together with carrots, beans and potatoes
Deglaze pan with about 2 cups water, gently pour into slow cooker, add about 2-3 cups . You may adjust for with more or less water at the end .
Cover and cook on Low for about 7 -8 hour, or until desired tenderness has been reached. Remove and serve with rice and or baguette.
How to Make Slow Cooker Oxtail Soup